Tranny Suggestions

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some help. I have a 74 318 plymouth duster with a 904 automatic tranny. I wanna put in a 4 speed. What tranny could i put in that is a 4 speed that would require little modification and where could i get it?

Not much you can do without having to cut up your car. Maybe a gear vendors unit if you want to fork out that kind of cash, or maybe a 700r4 (roughly the same size as 904), but that brings its own problems.

Come on guys!!!
First of all.
4 SPEED AS IN AUTOMATIC OR STANDARD (If standard with or without OD).

Hey guys,

I need some help. I have a 74 318 plymouth duster with a 904 automatic tranny. I wanna put in a 4 speed. What tranny could i put in that is a 4 speed that would require little modification and where could i get it?

4spd auto or manual?

Going on a auto trans, the Chrysler unit (A-500) will require a tunnel mod (Hammer) and a cross member mod. There is a place I have seen (SOMEONE HELP ME HERE!) that sells a cross member already done up for this. (SMS?)

The Chevy trans requires no tunnel mods. But an adapter plate to the engine. Cost? IDK. Then a vacuum line to it for shifting purposes. And a yoke if not so equipped to start with, of which should be comparable in size to the driveshaft your using.

On a manual, the OE 4spd is only a shopping catalog away from getting it in there. Other manual 4spd tranny's from Richmond or whoever would require a lot of trial and error. Research on that topic could very well be a bear.

Both require a shorter driveshaft. That is inexpensive. About 60 - 80 bucks.

This is was my first thought was.
And if a stick why a four speed?
If your going to buy one anyway go for a close ratio five or six aluminum.
The 700R4 is barely up to what it was put in from the factory, and would require multi hundred dollars to make it worthy.
Don't get me wrong, it's just that the 700R4 has some pretty weak points in it that would have to be adressed.
The sun gear shell is a good example.
It would be fine for a cruise around type car (after all that money), but don't expect to be able to jump on much

Come on guys!!!
First of all.
4 SPEED AS IN AUTOMATIC OR STANDARD (If standard with or without OD).

Thanks for the help guys. I just looking for something to change my trans now with a trans that has more gears and I don't want a lot of mods. Also I don't want a manual.

-
Back