Trans 727 converter ring

-

Moparornocar51

Reaction score
Hi guys i want to knew where can i get a new converter ring for my 727 sb converter, the teeth from my ring are damaged because i had some problems with my starter before, but i cant find where to buy a new ring, could i also use a used converter and get the ring from there

And how do i have to install that?

Thx Peter

I would think that it might be more cost effective to buy a new converter. Not sure what stall speed you are looking for but I've seen them on ebay for around $200 on up. Looking at my BB converter I would have to cut the existing ring off, find a better or new one, then weld it on perfectly, and then have the converter balanced? Maybe some others will chime in and offer a better solution.

The ring is integral to the convertor on a Mopar (welded assembly). So you need a new convertor is the teeth are damaged.

**** the converter is like new just few miles on it and got that one from ptc its build for my engine and rear end it costs around 700$ if i could find another way then to buy a new one i would be happy!

Contact the manufacturer perhaps they'll take it in exchange or possibly repair it for reasonable.

If you were on "this side of the pond" I'd say send it to have it repaired - I have no clue who might do that in Europe although I'd wager someone does. Anyone that can rebuild a convertor can do that replacement - just don't let them cut the body open and nothing about how it performs should change.

I used to replace them all the time when I worked in the dealership, before lock-up convertors arrived. EASY. Cut the old one off with out damaging the convertor, trim the weld areas, find a new gear, heat it slightly with a hotplate, install on convertor and center, weld in the original 4 areas but just a row of stitch welds. You should be able to source the gear searching online.

I can get you the ring gear, shouldn't be an issue. I would need to know the tooth count and what width the ring gear is. From the factory, it is either 1/2" or 1" wide. Some of the High Stalls we built though, had ring gears modified and made to fit the converter diameter. This was true for a lot of 10" converters and all 9" and smaller converters had a special ring gear for each diameter.
Perhaps you could post a photo so I can see what the ring gear looks like.
As TXTOPCAT said though, the converter should be balanced after the ring gear is installed.

Thx you guys

@transman i will post u pics in a few weeks i have to take the engine out first...

When i get the converter out from the trans i will measure the diameters and will pm you thx alot Peter

-
Back