Trans-brake transmissions?

-

gumper

Reaction score
My 727 with mild street car modifications is getting aged (6 full race seasons plus street time, and I feel it's time to look into a replacement. I want a transbrake to help keep reaction times consistent, and hopefully shave some time off my ET. I would build one myself, but I've never done anything other than a powerglide which are simple compared to what I imagine a 727 to be. What company builds the best 727 with a brake that'll handle ~550 hp on a regular basis?

727 is an easy trans to rebuild also....

For the brake....there is Tranzact of Indy...Grinder...and A & A...

Pretty sure any of those 3 would build ya a trans also....and with a 727 I would use a billet steel front drum .........

A trans brake wont make it run any faster but yes the 727 is a fairly easy build. If you want faster the 904 trans would be the way to go, they have less drag. If you want faster AND more consistant then the Powerglide is the way to go, its lighter and one less gear change would be more consistant.

You don't think a brake will launch the car harder and get my 60' down a bit? I'd think it'd put my cal-tracs to work compared to leaving off the foot brake.

If you've rebuilt a powerglide you can rebuild a 727. A torqueflite is an extremely simple and easy trans. to rebuild. If you decide you don't want to do it it's impossible to say who's the "best" to rebuild it as there's numerous good companies that rebuild torqueflite's. I'd look for someone with a good reputation that's as close to home as possible due to shipping costs and the remote possibility that if there's an issue there nice and close to get you taken care of.

I have a couple complete 727s laying around I should tear apart and see what I'm up against as far as doing it myself. Building the glides isn't bad since if something is not right we can have them taken out of the dragsters in 25 minutes. My mopar on the other hand takes awhile longer, so it'd be nice to put it in once then leave it in for a few years.

Check the #'s of what you have and look for a 71 or newer. They used the wider pump support bushing so their sturdier. When rebuilding any auto trans, powerglide, torqueflite, etc... air pressure testing components insures it'll work right when installed. I test them as a single component then after I install them right before I bolt the valve body in place. Here's a great book on building the 727

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Torqueflite--727-Transmission-Handbook-HP1399-ebook/dp/B004FPYZQQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402432183&sr=1-1&keywords=torqueflite+727"]Amazon.com: Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook HP1399: How to Rebuild or Modify Chrysler's A-727 Torqueflite for All Applications eBook: Carl Munroe: Books[/ame]

-
Back