trans brake vs launch control ?

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
not sure where to post this question. a quick run down on combo. 410 sb, S475 turbo, efi, built 727, ptc 3800 converter, 9" rear 3.5 gears 28" radial tire, weighs 3200 with me in it.
i have been driving this on the street for a few months now and is a real hand full. trans has a cope reverse pattern manual vb that shifts real hard. have taken car to two 1/8 mile street meets. first time was on street tires and a waste of time. impossible to run a straight line. second meet i ran et radials and car was much more settled and launched better.
tried launching bringing rpm up on the foot brake but started to push through the beam. too much going on trying to watch rpm, the lights, pushing on brake. car did launh better with boost built up on brake.
now my question is should i use the launch control feature in my ecu ( LINK G4+ STORM ) or go the trans brake rout. i am new to efi and boost so racers advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
not sure where to post this question. a quick run down on combo. 410 sb, S475 turbo, efi, built 727, ptc 3800 converter, 9" rear 3.5 gears 28" radial tire, weighs 3200 with me in it.
i have been driving this on the street for a few months now and is a real hand full. trans has a cope reverse pattern manual vb that shifts real hard. have taken car to two 1/8 mile street meets. first time was on street tires and a waste of time. impossible to run a straight line. second meet i ran et radials and car was much more settled and launched better.
tried launching bringing rpm up on the foot brake but started to push through the beam. too much going on trying to watch rpm, the lights, pushing on brake. car did launh better with boost built up on brake.
now my question is should i use the launch control feature in my ecu ( LINK G4+ STORM ) or go the trans brake rout. i am new to efi and boost so racers advice much appreciated.
If you are pushing through the beams when footbraking then your rpm is too high. Is your truck coil or leaf spring in the rear? I have an 8" converter and leave at 1500RPM and do just fine on reaction time and 60'. Actually leaving off idle helps with weight transfer. I'm carbureted, so it may be apples and oranges.

My converter stalls around 3400 and i get the best 60" launching at 2200. It give you a run at the converter.
If i pump the pedal, so it will hold at the line and i launch with my foot to the floor it run a slower 60" and ET

the 1980 mirada drag car i have was wired for both roll control and trans brake,i guess for the roll control was for the car dont move when the rans brake was pushed,but coulnd use it if you had a pro transbrake that you would have to push in to go in reverse in neutral

My converter stalls around 3400 and i get the best 60" launching at 2200. It give you a run at the converter.
If i pump the pedal, so it will hold at the line and i launch with my foot to the floor it run a slower 60" and ET

Every car that I have raced ran a quicker ET the more I foot brake stall them. My D-50 will only foot brake stall around 2800, if I try to go higher it pushes through the beams. I still have had a best 1.33 60 ft. I wish I could stall it higher. I am thinking about sending my convertor back to get loosened up.

If u use a trans brake u will need a converter with a steel stator in it. Kim

going to disagree somewhat....Been using Turbo Action converters that are not set up for transbrake....but we are not flooring it on the converter....using a 2 step that hold the rpm to 3k...while the converter will flash to 5200 rpm....so what i am saying...foot braking to 3k or on the two step with the brake engaged...is there is difference..???

based on the serial numbers these converter are over 20 yrs old...

-
Back