Trans conversion shifting linkage

-

Jim Batchelor

Jim Boy
Reaction score
I have a 66 Dart "GT" with /6 and 904 in it. Going to be putting a 78 318 with a 72 727 on it. I have the 318 with the 727 attached to the back of the 318 setting in my garage on a huge cradle I built. Doing that so that I can do a test run of the motor bbefore I put it in 66.
Was curious about where console shifter would be at on the transmission when in park. So I just jack up the 66 and got under it and took a look at the 904 linkage. When in park the lever on transmission is all the way back. So I started looking at the other things down there. Now keep in mind the 66 904 is a console shift not cvolume. Behind the transmission shift bracket that is attached to transmission and pivots on shaft to change gears, there is another linkage arm that goes to the rear of transmission. It looks as that there is another pivot pin that comes down from transmission to shifting arm coming from console to attach to linkage. My question is, I when and looked at the 727 and there is no pin. I there suppose top? The 727 came out of a colume shift 72 Duster.

I have a 66 Dart "GT" with /6 and 904 in it. Going to be putting a 78 318 with a 72 727 on it. I have the 318 with the 727 attached to the back of the 318 setting in my garage on a huge cradle I built. Doing that so that I can do a test run of the motor bbefore I put it in 66.
Was curious about where console shifter would be at on the transmission when in park. So I just jack up the 66 and got under it and took a look at the 904 linkage. When in park the lever on transmission is all the way back. So I started looking at the other things down there. Now keep in mind the 66 904 is a console shift not cvolume. Behind the transmission shift bracket that is attached to transmission and pivots on shaft to change gears, there is another linkage arm that goes to the rear of transmission. It looks as that there is another pivot pin that comes down from transmission to shifting arm coming from console to attach to linkage. My question is, I when and looked at the 727 and there is no pin. I there suppose top? The 727 came out of a colume shift 72 Duster.

I just went back and looked again. DAH! I am all wrong that is not a pin from Trans. There is bracket attached to those two small holes on underside of the rear part of tTrans.This bracket comes across towards the drivers side of Trans. Allowing the shiftier coming down from console to attach to a pivot arm, that attached to the linkage that goes forward to attach to the gear shiftier on side of transmission. Kickdown linkage attached above that. Sorry!

Will this help describe what you are asking about?

shift_linkage.jpg

-
Back