Trans Cooler Line Replacement

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
Will the transmission cooler lines for a 318/904 slide out after I disconnect the ends from the radiator and the trans? Or do I need to take more of the car apart to be able to get them out?

You will have to do some twisting and turning of them but they can come out. I found they came out easiest towards the front of the car.

It helps to have the front of the car high enough off the floor to be able to completely turn the front of line down and around. The rear ends of the lines(tranny ends)like to snag on just about everything.

don't forget that there are several anchor point on the bottom of the car where it attaches to the car

mhh, ill have to crawl back under there tomorrow and see what in the world im thinking off then

I have seen them clipped together in from 1 to 3 places; one at the afore-mentioned starter bolt, and sometimes along the oilpan rail, and sometimes just to eachother.I dont recall which engines did what or in which chassis.Just that Ive run across these.

Yes, those nasty little metal clips!!! Ohhh how I forgot about those. They like to slice your fingers open trying to remove them.. Somehow all of mine found the trash bin and were never to be seen again.

good luck,hope you dont have headers.they come out a lot easier,than going in,that is if your installing new ones,bucause not so worried about bending

good luck,hope you dont have headers.they come out a lot easier,than going in,that is if your installing new ones,bucause not so worried about bending

I learned this the hard way. That's why I have a brand new set of O.E. style hanging on my wall. I wound up making fabbing a set out of brake tubing.

ted

Yeah....haha I decided to put that project on hold. I'll wait until I have the engine out. Or maybe I'll just make my own and route them along the passenger side of the car. Right now the factory lines appear to be pinched in between the headers and the side of the block. It's a little tight in there.

-
Back