trans cooler sizing question?

-

71swing

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to installing my new 9-1/2 3800stall dynamic converter, Into my 71 swinger 340, 727 trans, 4:30 gears.

I currently do not run a external trans cooler!

My question is? Will this external cooler be enough for the higher temps the stall will bring. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM-70268&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I happen to have the cooler laying around in the garage. Came off brother-inlaws mustang. I'm just not sure if it is large enough. It will be ran in seires with the cooler in the radiator.

The car only sees limited street.(cruising) and the 1/8th mile twice a year.

This could save me 50$ on the project if it will work.

It is really hard to say what cooler is the right size, it is just depends on to many things. As for the mounting, you have the right idea on installing it with the radiator heat exchanger. Put the external cooler before the radiator this way you won't add heat to your coolant from the trans and the trans oil temp leaving the radiator and entering the trans will be consistant.

Chuck

I think that would be plenty, considering you are in Omaha. There are guys here in Dallas that don't even run THAT much cooler and don't have problems.

I have two of the 4.5" versions on my Dart. One for the oil, and one for the trans that is not hooked up yet (getting ready to plumb it in when I rebuild the trans).

bmm-70265_w.jpg

well, I went with the cooler I had laying around the garage. I run a alum. radiator with a pusher fan to keep the engine bay neat and clean. So I made some brackets to mount the cooler infront of the fan.

What do you guys think?

trannycooler 001 (Small).jpg

trannycooler 002 (Small).jpg

trannycooler 003 (Small).jpg

71 Swing, that B+M cooler you're running is the same as the one I'm using with my 3500 stall converter and I haven't experienced any problems with my tranny and I doubt you will. My only concern would be your electric fan and how only 1/2 of it is trying to draw air through the tranny cooler. What could happen is since the left side of the fan is working against more of a restriction (as it's trying to pull air through the cooler) than the right side of the fan, the fan itself maybe deflecting or bending as it rotates which will put side load on the fan bearings. I think the gap between the backside of the cooler and the fan guard is large enough that it probably won't deflect much and harm the bearings but just keep an eye on it.

Terry

get the biggest one u can get i have the biggest plate style that B&M makes an i love it!

MIKEY

-
Back