Trans cooler used for oil

-

berry-cuda

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts where on using the trans cooler in the rad as an engine oil cooler, since I am running a 4 speed I will not need a trans cooler and was thinking about adding an oil cooler, wondering if anyone has done this befor thanks

A lot of transmission coolers only have a 3/8" i.d. That would severely restrict oil flow. Oil coolers generally have a minimum 1/2" i.d. I prefer the ones with 5/8 i.d. so theirs no restriction at all.

You need to account for flow loss of the cooler lines so 1/2" minimum IMO. My OEM 87 chevy 350 van with factory tow package, tranny cooler one side/oil cooler on the opposite tank oil lines are 1/2" ID.

Looking at the sandwich adaptors that have the cooling outlet ports on them are only 3/8" , even the ones for the cummins are only 3/8"

Water and oil don't mix and if there is a crack that develops in the rad oil cooler you will have big problems. Most engines do fine without any engine oil cooler, why do you think you need one?

No different then it cracking and wrecking your trans, adding a cooler lowers temps, more oil capcity, oil lasts longer seals and gaskets last longer, The lower you can keep the temps the better overheating problems suck

the oil cooler on a detroit diesel has 5/16 tubes for oil flow 3/8 will be fine and move a lot of hot oil .on another note will a rad handle 80 psi ? i dont think a tranny gets that high maybe im wrong .

Sounds like a very bad idea to me. If it were to get a hole in it when the motor was shut off the water would still be under pressure and force its way in your oiling system.I lost a trans from this happening. A motors a lot worse.

Most new vehicles have a trans cooler and an oil cooler in the rad, I know my chevy truck did. I know the possibility of failure is there but it chance is very minimal.

Most new vehicles have a trans cooler and an oil cooler in the rad, I know my chevy truck did. I know the possibility of failure is there but it chance is very minimal.

That's true. What temp do you want to keep the oil at?

I have never actually ran an oil temp gauge on a car but from what I read and have heard oil usually sits around the 230deg. mark, now that oil heat has to go somewhere which it dissipates into the block and transfers into the cooling system, some aftermarket coolers are claiming 20deg temp drop.

Those tube pans are supposed to work pretty good. How are you going to plumb it? if its in a bypass mode (ie, all the volume is not going through it, T off the remote oil adapter line output of the adapter, then run it back in to same leg) you could get away with even smaller lines. Baja bugs run those things up top, lines dont look all that big.

Looking at the sandwich adaptors that have the cooling outlet ports on them are only 3/8" , even the ones for the cummins are only 3/8"

Just because the aftermarket makes them that size doesn't make it right. IMO 1/2" should be the minimum i.d. so as not to reduce oil flow. Several yrs. ago I installed an aftermarket remote filter kit on my 360 and the oil pressure dropped 5-8 psi immediately. It came with 7/16" i.d. hoses and the fittings were only 3/8" i.d. I replaced the fittings with 1/2" i.d. and installed 5/8 line and the pressure went back up to where it was originally. Since the oil pressure sender is located on the output side of filter that tells me that kit as it came was pretty restrictive.

Cummins or any other V8 makes no difference.

I have never actually ran an oil temp gauge on a car but from what I read and have heard oil usually sits around the 230deg. mark, now that oil heat has to go somewhere which it dissipates into the block and transfers into the cooling system, some aftermarket coolers are claiming 20deg temp drop.

you want the oil temp to be at least 220* it should be warmer than the coolant entering the radiator for best performance and engine life. Heres a writeup
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1310-engine-oil-temperature/

Just because the aftermarket makes them that size doesn't make it right. IMO 1/2" should be the minimum i.d. so as not to reduce oil flow. Several yrs. ago I installed an aftermarket remote filter kit on my 360 and the oil pressure dropped 5-8 psi immediately. It came with 7/16" i.d. hoses and the fittings were only 3/8" i.d. I replaced the fittings with 1/2" i.d. and installed 5/8 line and the pressure went back up to where it was originally. Since the oil pressure sender is located on the output side of filter that tells me that kit as it came was pretty restrictive.

your not pumping all of your oil through your cooler before it goes to your engine just a small amount . you only need a quart or so a min going through your cooler if that much .
on a remote oil filter you should have bigger lines like was said because all of your oil goes through it before it goes to the engine .

When your lines are smaller you should see a pressure increase not a drop, Bernoulli's principal any restriction will increase pressure.

I removed a OEM oil cooler off a mid 80s 360 Diplomat cop car. Cooler fed from oil pressure sender port rear top of block and flowed thru cooler in front of radiator. Oil out of cooler dumped into the timing chain cover by way of a banjo bolt on the fuel pump. I'm sure cop motors had a HV oil pump. IIRC the lines were 5/16" ID. This oil flow path would not send all pump output thru the cooler so smaller diameter lines would work.

Attachments

• oil cooler.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 172
I removed a OEM oil cooler off a mid 80s 360 Diplomat cop car. Cooler fed from oil pressure sender port rear top of block and flowed thru cooler in front of radiator. Oil out of cooler dumped into the timing chain cover by way of a banjo bolt on the fuel pump. I'm sure cop motors had a HV oil pump. IIRC the lines were 5/16" ID. This oil flow path would not send all pump output thru the cooler so smaller diameter lines would work.

exzatamundo

That actually would be a good way to route it.

When your lines are smaller you should see a pressure increase not a drop, Bernoulli's principal any restriction will increase pressure.

I understand pressure principles and how it can vary by line size but at the same token if you restrict flow pressure can drop. You have to remember the output of the filter/cooler goes back into the engine to feed all the bearings and at each of those bearings is an oil leak (clearance). If the oil volume isn't enough pressure will drop.

So by Bernoulli's principal should I install 1/8" lines on my engine to increase the oil pressure? If not, why?

your not pumping all of your oil through your cooler before it goes to your engine just a small amount . you only need a quart or so a min going through your cooler if that much .
on a remote oil filter you should have bigger lines like was said because all of your oil goes through it before it goes to the engine .

Ok, so we're talking 2 different plumbing scenario's. The original poster didn't specify how he intended on plumbing it.

I have not had the opportunity to look at how the factory did it but I have looked at how a whole bunch of racers do it and from what I've seen all were plumbed like mine where all the oil flows through the cooler. That's why I said the lines need to be at least 1/2".

-
Back