trans help

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
there is a way to tell by the pans hape right ?? im searching that now as well

its in the car so i tried my best to lay on the floor and reach under for some pics. working on getting the best ones loaded

looks like a 904 from the searching i have done on the pan shapes

Definitely a 904. The 727 is much "fatter" and is longer. Also the 727 pan kicks out on the passenger side at the front where the dipstick tube is.

on the left trans pan rail under the linkage there are transmission id numbers, probably need to clean it off, but it will tell year, type etc... get those numbers and we can help you without question or guess.

Dave is right, as that is a 904.

Attachments

• pans.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 155
That thing sticking out the back: hope its just card board or some kind of spline protector.

Actually that looks like exactly the right tool for that.
Plastic and slides in just like the yoke would (Even fits the seal like the yoke)

We called em butt plugs. :D

i missed that lol so thanks again to you and the rest of the great people here for not missing a beat even on repeated questions

If the engine is the 318 that the first part of your build thread shows is still the one you're going to use, why not just use the stock Mopar flex plate? Converter wise, unless you're looking for some type of performance converter, why not use the 1968-1974 stock converter. All 318 and slant sixes used the same converter, and the factory offered two stalls, a low stall, and a higher (slightly) stall unit. The converter will have a 1.810" pilot and two small weights welded on the front(pilot) side. Just don't use any USED converters. Get a rebuilt one.
Keep it simple.

If the engine is the 318 that the first part of your build thread shows is still the one you're going to use, why not just use the stock Mopar flex plate? Converter wise, unless you're looking for some type of performance converter, why not use the 1968-1974 stock converter. All 318 and slant sixes used the same converter, and the factory offered two stalls, a low stall, and a higher (slightly) stall unit. The converter will have a 1.810" pilot and two small weights welded on the front(pilot) side. Just don't use any USED converters. Get a rebuilt one.
Keep it simple.

I am swapping out the 318 for a 360.

Most of my research has came up with it being cheaper to but the balanced flexplate and use my current converter than it is to use current flexpLate and buy a different converter

The transmission you have now, was there a 318 or a 360 in front of it? Where did your converter come from, out of the transmission you are using or somewhere else?

The transmission you have now, was there a 318 or a 360 in front of it? Where did your converter come from, out of the transmission you are using or somewhere else?

trans/converter came out of a factory v-8 74 swinger
motor is a 1969 318

-
Back