trans id

-

71RALLYEDART

Reaction score
I have an aluminum case a833. How can I tell what bellhousing I need and if it has a granny low gear.

Check the date code on the side. You may have an Overdrive unit with a 5.125 bearing retainer. I think they were made from 1975 and up.

You need to match your bearing retainer to the bell. If you have the large OD retainer then you can use a bell with a smaller hole but you will then need to bore out the bell to match. Also, keep in mind that many/most/all? of the OD bells will be for the 143 tooth flywheel and do not interchange with the 130 tooth wheels. Big difference in outside diameter.

833 OD will have a 3.09 first gear, it is not granny low.
There are two different bell housings from the factory, one for the slant, and one for small block.
It has a 5.125" bearing retainer and 130 tooth flywheel.
You can buy a 4.8?? diameter bearing retainer and run it behind big block.

There are two different bell housings from the factory, one for the slant, and one for small block.

You need to double check your info. The starter pocket on the 143 bell has been move outboard so it fits the larger diameter wheel.

130 on left....................143 on right......
bth_parts008-1.jpg

This is correct. small block A/F body and truck OD bellhousings use the 130 tooth flywheels

Nice and timely post...

I just picked up a truck that was originally a slant and manual on the floor.

It's now got a 69 440 in it, but I think it has the original trans.

The case looks aluminum.

It's got the B and E body shifter mounts, and an adaptor that puts the shifter about an inch higher and slightly ahead of the rear mount.

The knob has an indicator for all the way right and back reverse, but it's really all the way left.

Is this an o/d?

Probably, guessing from the aluminum case, and reverse should be left and forward as you are sitting in the drivers seat.

-
Back