Trans leak up front

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
In 2012 I swapped the -77 318 & 904 for -89 roller cam 318 & A500 & replaced all seals, new frost plugs, engine + trans oils & filters & so on & since then it's been doing fine as daily driver with oil & filter changes...

I was visiting a friend some days ago & he complemented me on my car since he sees it as old & I said "yeah, it's dependable!" & then I was gonna leave & saw a BIG puddle of trans fluid under the car!!!
Drove home fast! Lifted it up, took the plate at the lower front off & saw it comes from behind the converter...

I know what I have to do so no use for comments about that, but I wanna know if anybody has had the same happening to a normal daily driven car in good condition, not a racer, & what had happened?
(I haven't yet got around to start on it)

Usually a bad seal. From experience use a fresh one the rubber can dry out.

In 2012 I swapped the -77 318 & 904 for -89 roller cam 318 & A500 & replaced all seals, new frost plugs, engine + trans oils & filters & so on & since then it's been doing fine as daily driver with oil & filter changes...

I was visiting a friend some days ago & he complemented me on my car since he sees it as old & I said "yeah, it's dependable!" & then I was gonna leave & saw a BIG puddle of trans fluid under the car!!!
Drove home fast! Lifted it up, took the plate at the lower front off & saw it comes from behind the converter...

I know what I have to do so no use for comments about that, but I wanna know if anybody has had the same happening to a normal daily driven car in good condition, not a racer, & what had happened?
(I haven't yet got around to start on it)

If you ever worked in a trans shop you would see that almost every day.

Front seal can go bad, or even pop out.
Pump gasket can leak.
Pump bushing can go, causing the seal to leak.
A cracked converter snout can make it where you need a new pump, gears, bushing, seal and converter.

Not meant to freak you out, as it’s probably just the seal, but it’s a really good idea to pull the pump, install a new bushing and seal, and give the converter a good looking over for bushing surface wear, seal lip groove or cracks.
It’s how the good shops do it.

Usually a bad seal as mentioned, but SOMETIMES the converter snout cracks at the lugs where it engages the front pump OR around where it's welded to the converter. So I would LITERALLY take a magnifying glass to the WHOLE conver snout everywhere on it and look for cracks. Also too, just because you don't find any doesn't mean it's not cracked. So, unless you find a smoking gun seal, it might be a good idea to have the converter checked out by a reputable shop.

If you park on a hill nose down, the spinning parts inside can pump oil out the front vent, which is inside the BH. This can also happen on the level, if the trans is overfilled, or the fluid gets very hot.

Okidoki, thanx!
Well the car was parked on flat ground & there was no leak before I came there, clean ground & that's more than ome can say about how it looked when I drove home.
Lucky me I have more than one car so as time passes I'll get to it...

If you ever worked in a trans shop you would see that almost every day.

Front seal can go bad, or even pop out.
Pump gasket can leak.
Pump bushing can go, causing the seal to leak.
A cracked converter snout can make it where you need a new pump, gears, bushing, seal and converter.

Not meant to freak you out, as it’s probably just the seal, but it’s a really good idea to pull the pump, install a new bushing and seal, and give the converter a good looking over for bushing surface wear, seal lip groove or cracks.
It’s how the good shops do it.
Trailbeast is right on the money as is RustyRatRod. The converter hub must be as smooth as a crank journal. Any surface wear on it, etc. will cause seal/bushing failure eventually.

Sudden leak like that usually going to be a pump bushing that walked out against the seal,or a cracked hub.

Having the same issue but more of a drip. No puddle. Here's the thing, the trans 904 is now acting when I drive it hard. Having a 1-2 f!are up at times and occasionally have to back off throttle going into 3rd. Shifts OK when I drive it normally. Level is OK. Not sure of mileage but I've put about 12k on it. Figure it needs a refresh but will do a band adjust first. I guess my question is, Does a front seal leak cause this perhaps due to some pressure loss?

-
Back