Trans pump seal blown??

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
The 904 behind the stroker is about 200 miles fresh. After getting all my floors pans in, I went for a spin. The car started smoking horribly, I pulled over to check it out, and the trans was puking fluid all over the headers and exhaust. It was leaking from the dust cover on the bell. It dumps fluid when running only, cold or hot, full trans fluid, or a quart low, (I initially thought it was overfull and puking out of the vent, but i'm not that lucky). I have the trans ready to pull less two bellhousing bolts and another pair of hands to work the jack. I sure hope the fix is as easy as a seal, any other ideas as to what would cause a fluid dum from this area??

With only 200 miles after a rebuild,it should still be under warranty for work done.I,m sure 68Fishy(Tracy)will be able to help diagnos your problem.He likes working on these 904.s.Good luck.

If it is internal damage, it will be covered. hopefully it is just a seal, and I wont even bother with getting ahold of the guy that built it.

A cracked torque converter will do the same thing. Inspect it when you pull the trans. especially around where the shaft is welded on.

We used to use red loctite on those front seals when we put them in.
Just a small bead around the inside of the seal seat and pop that puppy in.

I have heard about the convertors leaking, a friend of mine has a rig to be able to pressurize it and see if it seeps. If it's a convertor, i'm gonna be very unhappy, it is such a nice peice, stalls great and cruises well for a 3500.

I just had the same thing happen on my transmission. It ended up being the front pump bushing spun and took out the front seal. A few hours later and a new bushing and all has been running good.

I just had the same thing happen on my transmission. It ended up being the front pump bushing spun and took out the front seal. A few hours later and a new bushing and all has been running good.

Did this tear up the hub of your convertor? I would imagine that "staking" the bushing would help to prevent this...

Well the problem ended up bein the convertor. The welds around the hub are leaking. I guess they didnt pressure test it before they sent it out. Kinda bummed I dont get to drive my car this weekend, there is a cool cruise in town this weekend...

I would like to think the company will fix the welds at no cost to me.

I contacted the company (J&W performance) they had apoligized and said send it in on my dime, they will repair it for free and send me a check for the amount of the shipping. they said they dont have a UPS account for them to schedual a pickup from my house, which would eliminate and initial expense to me. I am happy with their cooperation though, they are trying to make it right.

a bummer set back.....but atleast they are working with you to make it right.

-
Back