Trans Stuck in Gear, Shifter In Neutral

-

GupsTateS

Reaction score
This is for a hurst shifted Dart 833 4 Speed.

Driving home tonight I shifted from 2nd to third and something went wrong. The shifter is in the neutral position and I can't get it out, the trans is in second still, which is the reason I can't get the shifter out of the neutral position I would think. The clutch still works to disengage everything, but I can't shift!

Anyone got any idea as to what went wrong or what I should do?

Thanks!

Get under it and start checking the linkage… Could be something as simple as a rock got kicked up in it (but we are never that lucky)…..

If the linkage looks fine, remove the rods from the levers on the trans and see if you can get everything back to neutral from underneath….. If you can’t pull the trans and open it up.

thanks. I hope its the linkage. The linkage always felt weird going into second, but haven't really checked it out much. It seemed like it was loose and catching.

hi, jack up the rear end, take a 1/2 wrench and shift the trans out of 2nd gear.now you're in neutral. readjust your shifter. when mine did that, the shifter was out of wack. also, your shifter is probably getting worn. also, check mounting bolts, make sure nuts on arms are tight. shifters do require some adjustment once in a while. just food for thought.

Also check the trans mount, I had the trans mount get weak and let the trans fall a little so the 1,2 rod was hitting the trans cross member when shifting into 2nd. Felt like it was half engaging, kind of like 2 clicks to get into second.

Thanks for the help!

Well I got it back into neutral and it seems to be going good, I'm just worried about it happening again. I guess this is that the winter off time is for. It was just stuck linkage!!

I do have the "2 clicks to get into second" syndrome...I'll look at my trans mount. Thanks for the advice.

I've had the same issue with mine for years. Every once in a while it seems to get jammed between gears. Second has always been a difficult shift but this usually happens from second to third shifts or on very rare occasions when shifting from reverse to first. I've had a local tranny shop take it apart a few times. New sliders, forks, side cover, shift levers, shifter rods and shifter. I've also changed the mount. Still does it once or twice a year. It also seems to be harder to shift, the more I'm romping on it. I'm convinced it's an internal issue.

-
Back