Trans troubles

-

Zachary Davis

Reaction score
1972 duster with a 318 in it automatic transmission. I know I probably need to take it to a transmission shop but I'd like to try a couple things first if I can to mabye save a couple. It does not want to shift out of 1st very well (also it just does not have any get up like I know it should) you have to bring the revs up and let off and then get back on it to shift and if I go to pass someone while driving I'll get on it and it feels like it slips into neutral or something so I will have to kind of baby it back into a gear. First time owning a car like this let alone working on one but it's fun and i love it but any ideas will be much appreciated

20190928_115038.jpg

What kind of carburetor do you have and is the kickdown linkage set up right?

Kickdown linkage can cause a blown transmission if you leave the detent open or partially open.

While you're checking the level check the color of the oil. Shouldn't be black or smell like it's burnt.

Zachary, IMO the first thing you should do is get you a factory service manual for your car. That way, you will familiarize yourself with all the terms we will be throwing at you. It will help you greatly.

I would first check the second gear band adjustment, loosen the locknut, tighten the center bolt (5/16 square) till it bottoms out then back off two turns and tighten the locknut down. Having this band out of adjustment can cause both a slip out of first and a slip on a forced kickdown. Hope you find a cheap easy remedy!

comments inside the quote. some is a repetition of previous posts.
1972 duster with a 318 in it automatic transmission. I know I probably need to take it to a transmission shop but I'd like to try a couple things first if I can to mabye save a couple.
It does not want to shift out of 1st very well; This sounds like a shifter to roostercomb sync problem.
(also it just does not have any get up like I know it should) this sounds like it never got into first and that she is starting in second gear. You would have to have a manual VB to do this. Unless the pressure systems are fubarred perhaps for lack of a functioning KD mechanism..
And/Or, the throttle is not opening the secondaries; figure out why. Could be a simple as a fat floormat under the gas-pedal.

you have to bring the revs up and let off and then get back on it to shift.
This sounds like low-fluid level, but if not and, if in drive and you are talking about a 1-2 shift, then I would try a band adjustment. If that don't cure it then down she comes.
But if in Drive, going for the 2-3 shift, and the fluid level is up, and the shifter is synced to the roostercomb, then the hi-drum is pooched.

and if I go to pass someone while driving I'll get on it and it feels like it slips into neutral or something so I will have to kind of baby it back into a gear. This sounds like low fluid level or a plugged filter
First time owning a car like this let alone working on one but it's fun and i love it but any ideas will be much appreciated

So the common theme I think is low fluid level or plugged filter.
I would drop the pan inspect for burned fluid and plugged filter. If fluid not wretched then;
replace the filter, adjust the bands, refill with fresh fluid, and check/adjust the shifter sync, check/adjust the KD system,
and finally try again.
If still same , she'll have to come down.

-
Back