Transmission and converter questions??

-

7duce swinger

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hughes converter and something to came to mind. My motor is a 318 in my 72 swinger and I was wondering, its internally balanced correct? So do I need the torque converter to have weights on it or no weights? Is that a thing or am I overthinking it. I purchased part number hughes- 27-35 torque convertor on summit racing. Been a long time since I worked on a mopar as I've been dabbling in the foxbody world and only touching my Saleen so I'm a bit lost. 318 is internally balanced or is it externally balanced

Transmission is a Cope racing transmissions A-904, non lock up. Hughes converter if not in the proper place, please move it to proper forum admins.

Internally balanced, but you may see little weights on it used to balance the converter when it was made.

Internally balanced, but you may see little weights on it used to balance the converter when it was made.

So I dont have to buy a converter specifically for this engine or I do?
There are no weights on it. When I purchased it, it just said for a non lock up 904.

20190807_155328.jpg

20190807_155256.jpg

So I dont have to buy a converter specifically for this engine or I do?
There are no weights on it. When I purchased it, it just said for a non lock up 904.

View attachment 1715375085

View attachment 1715375086
Weights or no weights, it will be neutral balanced unless it has pretty good-sized chunks welded to it & the part # stated it was intended for a 360. Most are not for a 360 w/stock external balance, so Your 'teener and that unit should be fine.......

Cool, thanks its installed now but dont have a dipstick as mine broke at the cap. Waiting for a new one and now have to figure out how much extra fluid this oan holds.

Also, when breaking it in or before break in, do I put it in neutral or park? Should I lift the rear up so the tires are in the air. I dont want to smoke this trans before I get to drive it. Brand new Cope racing trans, and stall.

Start it up in nuetral and let it run for a minute or two. Then I'd put it through the gears with your foot on the brake. I'd make sure that your kick down linkage is adjusted properly and then you should be good to go. I was told no break in procedure after the first couple of minutes.

Start it up in nuetral and let it run for a minute or two. Then I'd put it through the gears with your foot on the brake. I'd make sure that your kick down linkage is adjusted properly and then you should be good to go. I was told no break in procedure after the first couple of minutes.

It's a reverse manual valve body from crt, so I can just follow the steps amd be done with it haha.

Never run the motor for more than half a minute if the trans is low. Just shut it off in neutral and pull the stick..when you get one. In the meantime, stick a funnel loosely into the dipstick hole. start it in neutral, and fill it until it runs out the hole.

-
Back