Transmission assembling question

-

Cole Andews

Reaction score
I'm assembling my transmission and have a question about how many thrust washers I'm supposed to have between the input and output shaft, the book makes it sound like 2 but I only found one when dissasembling. Thanks for the help

IMG_20180831_161207.jpg

IMG_20180831_161203.jpg

IMG_20180831_160950.jpg

I'm assembling my transmission and have a question about how many thrust washers I'm supposed to have between the input and output shaft, the book makes it sound like 2 but I only found one when dissasembling. Thanks for the help

Dart_68's post is specifically correct.
That said, it's pretty normal to just use the one that came out unless it's trashed.

I just took apart the governor and there's was no filter screen inside of it, is it normal to run without one? There was also no sealing rings unless my book is refering to the ones on the governor support, should I have any within the governor? Don't think so.

Just the two big rings clearly visible on the support.
As to the screen, that was a later addition and it was pressed into the case at the appropriate passage. It retrofits to all cases at least as far back as 1967
AS to that washer, the rebuilder normally measures the geartrain end-play BEFORE taking the trans apart. Then at the reassembly stage,before marrying the front and rear parts, a select-fit washer of appropriate thickness is installed there to achieve a certain endplay, which spec escapes me. I do remember the spec is fairly generous.

Last edited:
I just took apart the governor and there's was no filter screen inside of it, is it normal to run without one? There was also no sealing rings unless my book is refering to the ones on the governor support, should I have any within the governor? Don't think so.
this isn't an answer to your question but it does seem you are asking the right questions.

End play spec. is quite the range, For your year of trans. between .036 to .084 thou.
FWI This possible 2 piece thrust washer your literature mentions does exist, but not for what your working on. It was used in 1979 and on 904, 998 and 999 trans. models. It had a cupped bearing and a thrust washer. Different thicknesses of this washer were available, .053 .069 and .084 thou.

Just the two big rings clearly visible on the support.
As to the screen, that was a later addition and it was pressed into the case at the appropriate passage. It retrofits to all cases at least as far back as 1967
AS to that washer, the rebuilder normally measures the geartrain end-play BEFORE taking the trans apart. Then at the reassembly stage,before marrying the front and rear parts, a select-fit washer of appropriate thickness is installed there to achieve a certain endplay, which spec escapes me. I do remember the spec is fairly generous.

Do I need to or should I run a filter screen?

Last edited:
How freely should I be able to turn the input shaft by hand with the pump housing on? It's pretty tough to turn but it seems to be even all around.

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but in the very first photo it looks as if the Belville Spring in the forward clutch is in upside down!

-
Back