transmission book

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a 904 to put behind a smallblock stroker. I have never built my own trans. Does anybody know of or want to sell me a good book to show tricks and ways to build a hardcore tranny?

I would be interested too.

I have a really good book, I forget the name of it off the top of my head and its in the car, tomorrow morning I will grab it for you and get the name of it

I have been rebuilding torqueflites for well over 25 yrs. and have yet to see a good performance orientated book specifically on the 904. There is one real good book on 727's and they are basically the same except for parts sizes. The basic function of the 2 are identical and the valve bodies are interchangeable so mod's affect each the same. It's written by Carl Munroe and here's a link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1557883998/?tag=joeychgo-20

Fishy, if I were to build a 904, and gather the cost on all parts is that a comparable price for what is being sold as perf. tranny's? I'm basically trying to justify buying a fully built unit from these guys:

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id20.html

for what I want they are saying it would be close to $1,800. Thats just a hard price tag to swallow, knowing I might be able to get it done myself, while maintaining a good build, for a fraction of the cost.

What do you think?

As long as all the hard parts in the trans are good, you shouldn't have to spend more than about $300 on a rebuild kit/shift kit.

Tony, 70AARcuda, has a link to a bunch of trans kits that he uses in his cars and most run in the 11's or better.

$1800 for a rebuilt 904 is crazy. 904 and 727's are about the easiest transmissions to rebuild.

Get the trans guide/book, buy a kit, and have a clean place to rebuild it.

I have been rebuilding torqueflites for well over 25 yrs. and have yet to see a good performance orientated book specifically on the 904. There is one real good book on 727's and they are basically the same except for parts sizes. The basic function of the 2 are identical and the valve bodies are interchangeable so mod's affect each the same. It's written by Carl Munroe and here's a link to it.

Does this book go into any details on the lock up function?

Isecond that..19.95 uss 26.00 can..

the ATSG 727/904 book does cover the 904 ...couple of days ago i found a the 904/999 book available on video....

this is it..

http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/Chrysler-A999-A904-Transmission-ATSG-Rebuild-Manual-Mini.html

as far as parts....i buy alot of parts from bulkpart.com

they have kits with alto disc and kolene steel available...

and if you want to change from 4 disc to 5 disc in front drum...you will need to buy 5 of the thinner rear clutch pak disc..

also...look into the 24 spring kit for the front clutch piston to replace the large single piston spring...

have had good luck with 904s....with the cars in sign...

408 stroker is going into dart early next year.....

Fishy, if I were to build a 904, and gather the cost on all parts is that a comparable price for what is being sold as perf. tranny's? I'm basically trying to justify buying a fully built unit from these guys:

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id20.html

for what I want they are saying it would be close to $1,800. Thats just a hard price tag to swallow, knowing I might be able to get it done myself, while maintaining a good build, for a fraction of the cost.

What do you think?

Wowzers!! For $1800 that better include a whole bunch of upgrades. What hp level are you at? That will determine how much needs to be done to make it hold up. I can guarantee if you do it yourself you can save a bundle. Even though torqueflites are a piece of cake to rebuild places still charge alot for it. Especially if it's performance orientated.

Does this book go into any details on the lock up function?

It does have a section in the back that explains how it works. Shows exploded view of the converter and pics of the lock-up valve and explains how it functions with the valve body. Doesn't have a hyd. schematic of the lock-up circuit though.

The motor is a 4 inch stroke 360, 545 lift cam, in a Valiant with a 3:55 sure grip. My expected power will be around 5-550, close to 600ft. lbs of torque. With that said, I will need a pretty beefy trans. But yeah, the 1800 is rough. It would come with billet steel or alum. Drum, multi spring pack, and other upgraded stuff, so I really do think I could do it on my own at a fraction of their price. But I’ll look into some of these books; I think that is my best bet. I do need to get a spare 904 to build while I continue to drive the car though.

Well that is the book I was referring to the fishy posted a link to. Like he said and the book says, there pretty much the same expect part sizes and some other little things. But the mods are the same. And yes it has a very good right up of lock up and non lock up torque converters.

The motor is a 4 inch stroke 360, 545 lift cam, in a Valiant with a 3:55 sure grip. My expected power will be around 5-550, close to 600ft. lbs of torque. With that said, I will need a pretty beefy trans. But yeah, the 1800 is rough. It would come with billet steel or alum. Drum, multi spring pack, and other upgraded stuff, so I really do think I could do it on my own at a fraction of their price. But I’ll look into some of these books; I think that is my best bet. I do need to get a spare 904 to build while I continue to drive the car though.

If you expect that much power you do need all the upgrades you mentioned. Have you priced them separately? I haven't on a 904 but have on a 727 and it's a bunch of money so if a 904 is close to the same price you will save some money doing it yourself but you won't be able to do it at a fraction of the cost. We priced basically the same upgrade parts (minus the spring pack cause they don't need it) for a 727 and it was over $1000 for the upgraded parts. That's not including the rebuild kit. Either way about it I think you can do it and same some money. BTW: Have you also contacted Andrews Racing to see what they offer? Chris is a super guy and will help you either way you decide to go, i.e. buy the parts from them and do it yourself or have them do it.

It does have a section in the back that explains how it works. Shows exploded view of the converter and pics of the lock-up valve and explains how it functions with the valve body. Doesn't have a hyd. schematic of the lock-up circuit though.

I was hoping it would have details on how to get it to live with a shift kit.

-
Back