Transmission cooler fittings

-

kiss

Reaction score
I decided on the Tru-Cool M7B cooler and it has arrived. It has 1/2" NPT fittings. I am going to run 5/16 hard line (the flared kind with 1/2-20 threads) all the way from the transmission to the cooler. I found the 1/8 NPT to 1/2-20 inverted flare for 5/16 line for the transmission.

What i'm having trouble locating is 1/2 NPT to 1/2-20 inverted flare for the cooler

I found 1/4 NPT to 1/2-20 here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-72001

I could use a 1/2 NPT to 1/4 NPT reducer with that, but then that's just another point where a leak could occur. I'd like to avoid that. I've been searching and searching for 1/2 NPT to 1/2-20 inverted flare but I think it might not exist? Anyone know a good site to check that may have them?

I decided on the Tru-Cool M7B cooler and it has arrived. It has 1/2" NPT fittings. I am going to run 5/16 hard line (the flared kind with 1/2-20 threads) all the way from the transmission to the cooler. I found the 1/8 NPT to 1/2-20 inverted flare for 5/16 line for the transmission.

What i'm having trouble locating is 1/2 NPT to 1/2-20 inverted flare for the cooler

I found 1/4 NPT to 1/2-20 here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-72001

I could use a 1/2 NPT to 1/4 NPT reducer with that, but then that's just another point where a leak could occur. I'd like to avoid that. I've been searching and searching for 1/2 NPT to 1/2-20 inverted flare but I think it might not exist? Anyone know a good site to check that may have them?

Is this it???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-FITTI...hash=item53ebd1dbda:m:m1rq6Zi376ighEjWanTrb8g

Treblig

A 1/2 npt to 1/4 npt bushing (reducer) is what you need. Put some teflon pipe dope on the threads and tighten them properly, they'll never leak. Why on Earth would they put those humongous pipe threads on the cooler?

I went all thru McMaster-Carr's catalog and they don't have any 1/2 NPT to 1/2-20 inverted flare adapters. Only 1/4 NPT, like you already found..

A 1/2 npt to 1/4 npt bushing (reducer) is what you need. Put some teflon pipe dope on the threads and tighten them properly, they'll never leak. Why on Earth would they put those humongous pipe threads on the cooler?

Maybe because the cooler can flow a lot more volume than the reduced fittings are going to allow?

Just a thought.

I believe the cooler was originally designed for engine use, although I sold a number of them to be used as a transmission cooler. You may find what your looking for at a diesel engine parts supplier.

I use those reducers all the time and they don't leak, why would they??? As said above, use a good fuel / oil resistant sealing paste ( like you should do with any pipe fittings on your car ). Those cooler lines usually run around 10 to 20 psi on average..

Why didn't you just get a cooler that takes 5/16" hard line? Bought one for my 62 and it was easy to bend lines for.

-
Back