Transmission Cooler Line Fittings

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
I just picked up a new champion radiator and am having trouble finding the right fittings to connect the transmission cooler lines. I need fittings that are 5/16 inverted flare on the radiator side, and 5/16 male flare to connect to the transmission lines, does anyone know where i can find these fittings????

I don't know about a champion radiator, but on my aluminum radiator these were not flare fittings that were required, just regular pipe thread. Don't remember the size, but it may have been a 5/16. I got 5/16 hose barb fittings at the local Ace.
C

I looked inside the radiator ports and there definitely are mating surfaces for inverted flare. Also checked it with a 5/16 inverted flare plug I had and it screwed right in. I did try to see if a pipe plug would screw in and it wouldn't. I'm going to re-check the cooler lines to make sure whether they are 5/16 or 3/8.

They must have changed it because mine were straight up pipe thread. And poorly done at that. Took a lot of teflon tape and I'm watching it closely for stripping and blowing out. That's my only beef with Champion

I have decided to have a machinist friend fabricate the fittings I need by modifying 2 standard 5/16 brass flare unions. He will machine off the flare on one end and then countersink that end to get the inverted flare shape. Assuming this works for me, is there anyone else out there that needs these fittings.?? Just gauging interest in having a small run of these fittings made to sell......

Here are the fittings I had made. As i said before they are 5/16 flare by 5/16 inverted flare. We installed them in the radiator and they fit great.

Attachments

• Trans cooler fittings.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,206
Here are the fittings I had made. As i said before they are 5/16 flare by 5/16 inverted flare. We installed them in the radiator and they fit great.
I want a pair of these ... Let me know how I could get a pair please ... kwikkawi

All you need is a friend with a lathe. The flare is 45 degrees

-
Back