Transmission cooler question

-

Petty Blu 72

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to have a small radiator auxiliary cooler for the transmission? Or will it be ok through the radiator? Don't drive it far, or even a lot. Think it will be ok? It is a reverse valve body tranny, thanks.

My opinion would be unless you are doing heavy towing or have a really high stall speed where the converter is slipping and making a lot of extra heat all the time you should be fine with the radiator cooler.

I always run an supplementary cooler, run it in series with the rad cooler transmissions like to be cool. Longevity is the result of being cool

I don't race it at the track, but I do take it out occasionally for some rather, should I say, spirited driving! It probably will never go over a 45 mile trip at one time. That's to a car show, to show it off.:burnout:

What stall speed torque converter does it have (stock or a high stall unit)? What rearend gears are you running? Those 2 things have a big affect on the need of a aux cooler or not.

i'm in the process of installing an ext cooler too. can't figure out what trans line to cut into. running a 440/727 with 2800 stall. help?

When I ordered my torque convertor from Dynamic, they recommended I run an aux cooler in conjunction with the cooler in the radiator based on information I provided them about the drivetrain and car.

i'm in the process of installing an ext cooler too. can't figure out what trans line to cut into. running a 440/727 with 2800 stall. help?

run it through the rad. first,then through the aux cooler,then to the trans.

i always run an aux. cooler,stock vert or not.extra protection goes a long way.

thanks. which line flows from trans to rad, closest to drivers side?

The line coming out of the trans toward the front is out, the one to the rear is return.

When I installed mine I left the "out" attached to the radiator tank. I pulled the line for the "return" from the tank on the radiator, went into the cooler from the radiator and from the cooler back to the trans return.

..Transmission should run 170 - 190 degrees.The tube in the lower tank where the coolant temp is about 150 - 160 ( Delta T)warms your trans fluid for colder temperatures.
i run a typical 340 with a Dynamic 9 1/2" converter plumbed only to a small external cooler.I don't baby it and i have never seen my trans fluid it above 160 degrees.
..unless towing or racing i'm wondering if no external cooler would be best?

..Transmission should run 170 - 190 degrees.The tube in the lower tank where the coolant temp is about 150 - 160 ( Delta T)warms your trans fluid for colder temperatures.
i run a typical 340 with a Dynamic 9 1/2" converter plumbed only to a small external cooler.I don't baby it and i have never seen my trans fluid it above 160 degrees.
..unless towing or racing I'm wondering if no external cooler would be best?

Good point as well, the trans need not run too cool either.

-
Back