Transmission Cooler

-

Gr8polarbear

Reaction score
Looked over FABO and found a couple of recommendations but not many. What trans cooler without a fan is everyone using for their 727's? I am looking to get a stacked plate design and with so many options really I don't know which one to get. I know that bigger is better and i will not be running it through the radiator.

My first gen Cummins truck came OEM with a liquid to liquid heat exchanger. Just like running it through the rad tank, only it is a stand alone unit.

I use a B&M plate type transmission cooler. It's not run through the radiator either. Works great 3K stall converter. 65'

If you're looking for a stacked plate cooler, check out Tru Cool coolers (L7B, M7B, and H7B). They're the same as the B&M plate coolers, and are usually a little less expensive. They have them with different fitting sizes too. I've several good luck with the few I've bought.

Tru-Cool LPD Transmission Oil Coolers. Protect Your Investment. | Tru-Cool
Have you run any of these with a stall of 3k or higher? If so which model? All the models just say the gross vehicle weight and btu's, this tells me nothing. I know the gvw of my car but dont know how the stall speed affects the heat generated compared to gvw. Thanks

B&M makes some good ones. Measure the room you have and put the damn biggest one that'll fit in your space.

I use a B&M plate type transmission cooler. It's not run through the radiator either. Works great 3K stall converter. 65'
I used to run the biggest cheap cooler I could find on the hemi (race only), never had a hear related problem.
Now run it thru the rad, first then into the cheapest cooler I could find and back to the tranny , no problems at all...505'' 68 barrcuda , 3500 hughs convertor.

If you're looking for a stacked plate cooler, check out Tru Cool coolers (L7B, M7B, and H7B). They're the same as the B&M plate coolers, and are usually a little less expensive. They have them with different fitting sizes too. I've several good luck with the few I've bought.

Tru-Cool LPD Transmission Oil Coolers. Protect Your Investment. | Tru-Cool
I am running the H7B with my 408/727 & 3000 stall PTC converter (and not thru the radiator). That unit cools like nobody's business... an it gets HOT down here in Texas!

I normally look on fleabay for gently used Setrab coolers. I have purchased 5/6 coolers there and have yet to have an issue. Its been a few years but the last one I picked up was $45.00 w/ the ride for a 11w x 18H ish cooler.

I use Derale remote coolers with fans. I generally mount them over the rear-axle.

Have you run any of these with a stall of 3k or higher? If so which model? All the models just say the gross vehicle weight and btu's, this tells me nothing. I know the gvw of my car but dont know how the stall speed affects the heat generated compared to gvw. Thanks
Yes. Of my current cars, I've got an M7B on my '68 w/ 340, 727, 9.5" converter. It works great. My big block '66 has the H7B, but it's not on the road yet. My old 408 had the M7B if I recall and it also worked perfectly.

If you have both, a B&M and TruCool cooler in front of you, you won't tell a difference. They're the same cooler, just branded differently and usually the Tru-Cool units will save you a few bucks. Those stacked plate coolers work very well.

Last edited:
73 Sport. Built 340, Chevy 200-4R Trans, 3000 stall, 3.91 Sure Grip. Ran mine through the radiator and then the cooler, then back to trans. No issues. I also have the finned aluminum deep trans pan.

20181125_110445.jpg

-
Back