Transmission cooling lines

-

DartIan

Reaction score
So my lines are leaking. And i bought new lines to replace them. I crawl under the car. lines come off without a hitch on the radiator. Go to the transmission. What the frank? I cant get a wrench no matter what angle i attack it at to take off the lines. How did you guys do it?

Its a slant 6 with a 904torqueflight automatic. Has the stock slant 6 radiator. why cant anything ever be easy?

I'm not sure what the problem is here, but I guess you could cut the old lines out of the way and just use a socket on them.

Have you heard of a "Crowsfoot" wrench?
Made just for that kind of situation.

Specifically, you want a Crowsfoot line wrench.
They look like this.
Or. you could crimp the line right at the nut with wire cutters the snap the lines off the trans then use a socket like Magnum said.

Attachments

• imagesCA6AB2ZT.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 144
I'm not sure what the problem is here, but I guess you could cut the old lines out of the way and just use a socket on them.

Im going to try this after i try trailbeasts tool. then slip a wrench on the new line then run it all the way back. thank you.

Have you heard of a "Crowsfoot" wrench?
Made just for that kind of situation.

Thank you aswell. no i havent. im going to go to the store and get on and try it. im unsure how much clearance i will have to get in there with a ratchet extension and crowsfoot wrench socket majigger.

If I lived in your area I would problably be helpin you with it.

Im going to try this after i try trailbeasts tool. then slip a wrench on the new line then run it all the way back. thank you.

Thank you aswell. no i havent. im going to go to the store and get on and try it. im unsure how much clearance i will have to get in there with a ratchet extension and crowsfoot wrench socket majigger.

also Ian, make sure that when you loosen the cooler lines from the trans that you arent taking the couplers with them AND before you tighten down the new ones, that the coupler is tight into the trans. it should be a 1/2 or 9/16? wrench you need on it , and i believe the line is a 5/8. same with the radiator ...

Lance. Im new to saying what im about to say but......:glasses7: i know. i got it done :coffee2: it came lose and i did tighten those right up. BUT NON THE LESS. Thank you. :cheers: i had an epiphany and slid the wrench alllllllllllllllllll the way down the line. I gots them fancy chinese ratchet wrenches. And got them off and the new ones on.
Now all i need to do is figure out what the fiddle frank is wrong with my carburetor.
The positive things that came out of this experience. i mastered driving a standard in heavy traffic.

Lance. Im new to saying what im about to say but......:glasses7: i know. i got it done :coffee2: it came lose and i did tighten those right up. BUT NON THE LESS. Thank you. :cheers: i had an epiphany and slid the wrench alllllllllllllllllll the way down the line. I gots them fancy chinese ratchet wrenches. And got them off and the new ones on.
Now all i need to do is figure out what the fiddle frank is wrong with my carburetor.
The positive things that came out of this experience. i mastered driving a standard in heavy traffic.

good deal man, ive seen people forget to tighten them doohickeys before the lines and wonder why they still have a leak !

i honestly didnt even know i had a leak until my dad friend came out and gave me the dont **** where you eat routine (haha did a burnout infront of his house awhile back(son egged me on and said his tahoe was cooler(i showed his ***))) anyways i left a stain on the street infront of his house where i parked my car from the fluid.

-
Back