Transmission Fluid Change

-

340SNOTCH

Reaction score
I am changing the transmission fluid on my 727. My service manual says after you drain the fluid from the pan remove the access plate from in front of the converter. Then remove the drain plug and drain. I took off the access plate and didn't see anything. Does this not apply to my car? Thanks for the help...

Most all convertors should have a drain plug, have you rotated the crank to make sure?

No, when I took off the access plate I saw a large circle with teeth?? if that sounds right. Do I need to move that and check? I changed my fuel sending unit also, maybe i inhaled too many gas fumes and am confused.

No, when I took off the access plate I saw a large circle with teeth?? if that sounds right. Do I need to move that and check? I changed my fuel sending unit also, maybe i inhaled too many gas fumes and am confused.

Yes the large circle with teeth is the torque convertor, it should have a drain plug in it.

Man I thought I was going crazy. Can I turn that by hand and see if there is a drain plug? There wasn't a drain plug visible when I removed the access panel.

with the compression of your engine, you will probably not be able to turn it by hand. You can however probably put a wrench on one of the bolts that you see on it and turn it that way. (the bolts hold the flexplate to the converter)

Take a 1 1/4" socket to the crankshaft and rotate a little at a time.

MAKE SURE THE KEY IS OFF ist...

I wonder if it's really necessary to drain it anyway. I will be adding all new fluid since I dropped the pan. The new fluid will circulate with whats in the converter?? I figure there can't be a whole lot of fluid in the converter. I'll have to look at it again and see if I can rotate it and fine the drain plug.

There is more fluid in the converter than you think. I used a remote starter and pulsed the starter a couple of times and viola! There she was! Be careful and try not to strip the head of the plug. Mine was made of brass and it's small with fine thread.

If you don't drain the converter then all you are doing is contaminating the fresh fluid with the old fluid you leave in the convertor. A few more steps to do it right is all it takes.

John D. Beckerley

Ya I agree. I will do it right. Now I need to figure what kind of trans fluid to put in it. I went ahead and ordered a nice new pan and quality gasket from the chrysler dealer.

and as noted above ...not all converters have drain plugs in them

I'm headed back under to double check again for drain plug. I was going to use Valvoline ATF+4 Full Synthetic. The bottle says recommended for Chrysler vehicles and it replaces the ATF+3. I'll report back about the drain plug.

Just a reminder, while you have the pan off, there are kits to add a drain plug to them. That way the next time you drain it, it will be like changing your oil and not a huge mess trying to take a tranny pan off with 4 or 5 qts. of ATF in it.

hahah...It was a mess. I tried taking just the corner bolts off and draining that way, but after a while I just started to take more bolts off. I stole my wifes paper towels to help with the mess I made.

I checked again and I can't see anything that resembles a drain plug unless it's at the top of the converter. It's hard to see a whole lot with just removing the access plate. To even get to the crank shaft to attempt to rotate it looks like a total pain in the rear. I would have to remove several bolts to just take the entire cover off so i could see better. Maybe mine just doesn't have a drain plug since "not all converters have drain plugs in them". I don't understand why some would and some wouldn't. anyone know why??

I wonder if it's really necessary to drain it anyway. I will be adding all new fluid since I dropped the pan. The new fluid will circulate with whats in the converter?? I figure there can't be a whole lot of fluid in the converter. I'll have to look at it again and see if I can rotate it and fine the drain plug.

The total amount of fluid in the tranny, converter, lines and cooler is about 12 quarts. You only get about 4 when dropping the pan.

What I do to replace most all of it when the converter doesn't have a drain is;
1. Drop the pan and replace the filter.
2. Refill with about 4qts of fluid.
3. Remove the cooler lines and place the lines in a buck that holds at least 8 qts.
4. Start the engine and put it in drive and pump approx. 4qts into the buck. Shut the engine down and refill the pan.
5. Repeat step 4.

You should have a helper when doing this. When doing this you should see a change in fluid color indicating the old fluid has been flushed out. It may take the start of a third cycle before getting clean fluid. Button everthing up and refill to the full mark.

...........1977 up do not have a drain plug factory, but it could of been replaced with 1 that does.....the dp is inbetween 2 of the converter bolts attaching the tork..........kim......

I found it!! I had my daughter looking at the access plate while I turned the crank last night. I guess she didn't see the plug the first time around so I was thinking I didn't have a drain plug. Today I rotated it again and found it. It holds a lot more fluid than I thought it would.

I purchased a new pan from the Chrysler dealer with the heavy duty reusable gasket, so hopefully no more leaks. I was going to use ATF+4 Full Synthetic for refill. Any opinions on the fluid type? What's the best way to tighten pan? From the middle bolts and work ur way out?

I always use type f. I wouldn't use synthetic in an old trans.

Maybe others here have with good results. I'm not sure the newer synthetic atf is designed for the older trannys.

ATF+4 is backwards compatable in mopar trannies. The clutches and bands in the tranny aren't designed for Type F and you won't get the life out of them with Type F even though the shifting is firmer.

I forgot to mention how I dump my fluid. I use a shop garbage can lid (plastic) with a 1/2 inch hole drilled in the middle of it, under the handle.
Set this on top of your drain pan.

This way you have a really w-i-d-e catch pan which will make it so much easier and cleaner.

Great Idea Yellowdartdave. I have a pretty big drain pan, but bigger in this case is better. I have a Rubbermaid trash can with a hole in the lid already there. It has a plug in it. Maybe they knew us guys would use it for unconventional means!

John D. Beckerley

I spent forever on the internet reading, trying to figure out ATF4, Dexron 3, or type F for the fluid. I think Ill just use the Dexron 3. Does this brass drain plug for the converter need any teflon or anything before reinstall?

-
Back