Transmission Gurus, I need your help!

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
My '02 dodge neon Auto Trans pooped out on me. Here's what it's doing:

Makes an awful rubbing/groaning while in reverse and won't move.

When it is in neutral with the engine ON you can NOT roll the car, it almost feels like it's hitting a parking pin, it'll roll a little bit and then stop, either direction.

When it is in neutral with the engine OFF you CAN roll the car.

When it is in Drive with the engine on, it'll move forward a slight ways, then stop, you have to rev it up then it will clunk and jerk forward and move really jerky and slow with clunks and various unnatural sounds.

Tranny fluid level is fine, and had a new filter put in 6 months ago.

I did just recently, a month or two ago, replace the transmission shift solenoid.

For the last year or two, at random it will clunk really hard when upshifting. It has always been fine when downshifting.

Any ideas?

No guru by any means but it sounds like its broke! If its making grinding and groaning noises that's a sign of metal on metal and that's never good.

Sorry dude but you have a serious internal failure. Possible sun gear failure, torque convertor failure or its just plain worn out. I don't think a shift solenoid is gonna fix it this time around.

Yup, sounds like a hard part failure in the trans section. Pull the pan to verify...it should be obvious.... I wouldn't run it anymore if you plan on rebuilding it. All you'll do is ruin any remaining good parts.

-
Back