Transmission Neutral Switch

-

howco4

Reaction score
I'm running an older BB 727 tranny in my Dart. Will a triple contact, (backup lights), switch interchange with the single contact switch presently in the tranny. I'm rewiring the car, and it would be nice to use the backup lights. Thanks: Howard

Latest Dart 001 (500 x 333).jpg

There is really no way of knowing. The single wire switch will work in any and all.
Does the piece inside your trans have the backup bump on it. That is the question. To find out you could screw a 3 wire switch in there and check itsoperation with an ohm meter.

My plan B will be to take the SW into the auto parts store, and compare switches. I was assuming the bump when in reverse, is depressed to engage the neutral circuit, as well as the bk-up lights??? This is faulty logic, after rethinking this earlier statement. Forget plan B! It has to be tranny related, or the backup light would come on when in neutral also.

Wrong again, either switch will screw into the hole guys. good luck

I guess I can buy the 3 prong switch, as it should work for neutral safety. If the backup portion works, thats a plus.

I guess I can buy the 3 prong switch, as it should work for neutral safety. If the backup portion works, thats a plus.

Thats what I did with mine and it all works.

The middle prong on the 3 prong switch is for the neutral safety and the outer prongs are for the backup lights. Make sure and get a 3 prong switch for the first year they used them (69 if I remember right) because later yrs. used a different rooster comb in the valve body and the switch was changed also to work with it.

-
Back