Transmission Purchase

-

Walker434

Reaction score
Hello,

I am just looking for a little advice on using a money order. My transmission went out in the dart so after some digging I found a guy in PA that has a 904 already built to the exact specs I would want.

We have emailed back and fourth and had phone conversations. Guy seems legit and has emailed me pictures and receipts for all the parts when the transmission was built. We have agreed on a price and shipping arrangements. My questions is if I send him a postal money order in the mail is there anyway to protect myself? What is to keep him from just not shipping the transmission?

The guy is very nice and I believe he is a member on Moparts. Just wondering what other people have done.

Thanks,

Might want to contact ocdart (think it was him) about an escrow company he has used.

I find it hard to believe with the Bristol track and Comp Cams in Tennessee AND Lunati RIGHT on top of Tennessee that there are no reputable shops in your own home state at least.

Do the research on him, can you find any history as a seller ?

If you do follow through with it I would suggest a talk on the phone then you know you have a good contact number to the seller.
That don't guarantee hes not a scammer but at least you can get a better idea of what he's all about

I agree with the above comment, you should have someone local that can help you with a trans. I live in a small town and I know of a handful of guys that build a good solid transmission

Might want to contact ocdart (think it was him) about an escrow company he has used.

Yep, that was me.
I used an escrow company when I purchased my '69 Dart via eBay. I don't remember the name of the company now but the way it worked was I deposited the payment funds into an escrow account so the seller was able to confirm payment funds were there and available. The seller then shipped the car to me. I checked the car over upon delivery to verify it was what the seller claimed it to be and all included items were received. Upon completion of my verification, I approved release of the payment funds from the escrow company to the seller. Everyone was protected.
I don't know if an escrow company has a minimum amount they will deal with.

If you use a postal money order and the seller intentionally doesn't provide the product, that constitutes mail fraud which is a federal offense punishable by imprisonment up to 20 years and/or a fine up to $1 million.

Thanks for the responses so far. Every reputable shop wants to rebuild my transmission. I don't have a shop or garage or anything so I have to use my friends shop an hour away. I can't pull the transmission and leave his shop tied up while I have someone rebuild my transmission.

I also would like to have a rebuildable core setting around for future projects. As the thread stated I am looking for advice on the purchase not whether or not I SHOULD be purchasing this transmission.

I guess I'm just thinking if I buy the transmission already built I can use my buddies shop and have them swapped in 1 afternoon.

Again, I would try to find a local shop there to buy one from. What makes you think PA is the only state that has transmissions ready to go?

Tell you what I would do. I would call Comp Cams and ask one of their guys. They might could actually point you in a direction that might be more local. Just a thought.

Maybe find a local shop that sells Jasper reman transmissions or a similar rebuilder.

Again, I would try to find a local shop there to buy one from. What makes you think PA is the only state that has transmissions ready to go?

Tell you what I would do. I would call Comp Cams and ask one of their guys. They might could actually point you in a direction that might be more local. Just a thought.

I don't think PA is the only state that has transmissions ready to go. I have been checking with every REPUTABLE transmission shop in the state of TN and NONE of them have any ready to go. They all want to rebuild mine.

Rusty, it seems like you are very knowledgeable guy but sometimes you rub me the wrong way with your choice of words.

Can't you use your buddies shop to pull it, then drag it out of the shop until the trans can be built? How much (ballpark) is this other built trans? So paypal isn't an option for you?

Rusty has a way with words lol. Doesn't sugar coat it. You don't seem to want any real advice. So send the mo and let us know if it works out or if you get screwed.:toothy1:

I don't think PA is the only state that has transmissions ready to go. I have been checking with every REPUTABLE transmission shop in the state of TN and NONE of them have any ready to go. They all want to rebuild mine.

Rusty, it seems like you are very knowledgeable guy but sometimes you rub me the wrong way with your choice of words.

Ok. Then color me gone.

Again, I would try to find a local shop there to buy one from....

This^^^^^^^

-
Back