Transmission Vent?

-

jdavis2

Reaction score
Is there a vent on a transmission (A904) like there is on the rear differential? My tranny was puking out of the dipstick tube after setting idle for a period of time, sometimes overnight sometimes after a couple of days. As long as I was driving it regularly it wouldn't puke. I found the o-ring on it was buggered up and replaced it last night. At lunch today it was still dry under the car but I thought it was odd that it would still have pressure on it all the time.

Jeff

When you say that it's puking out of the dipstick tube, do you mean while it's running or after it's been sitting shut off for awhile? If it does it after sitting, what you're seeing is drain back of fluid from the torque converter over-filling the pan. The vent is inside the bell housing.

Yup, vent is at the top of the pump inside the bell. Found that out when I inverted a "drained" trans to pull the valve body...it wasnt completely empty...8-@

Sounds typical of a bad O-ring seal on the dipstick tube. Vent had nothing to do with it. If the vent was plugged it'd puke when the car is running. And as Pishta says the vent is located at the top of the pump assy. in the bellhousing.

OK. Thanks guys. Been driving her two days now with no puking incidents. I'm thinking the o-ring fixed my problem but won't be for sure until I park it a couple of days.

Yeah, dipstick tubes only leak when shut off, not while it's running. I used to change them with the engine running to avoid making a mess.

-
Back