transmission wont go all way into park

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
So I been driving the car around for a while now. Took it to a show yesterday and everything worked like it should. I go to start this morning for another show and it wouldn't start so I checked to see if it was in park moved a bit then I went to the store on way to show put it in park and it kept rolling backwards. Now only way I can get it to start is if I reach under car and push arm into park. I tried adjusting everyday possible so it just will not go that last bit into park. It's like it stuck in between park and reverse. I even tore shifter cover off to see if anything fell apart can't seem to find anything. Its a b&m shifter, B&m cable and B&M bracket on a 727.

I already tried the transmission section and I can't get any response so I figure I would try here. Been driving car for months now and all of a sudden it won't go all the way into park per the B&m shifter. I can manually put in it my crawling under the car. Just barley missing going into park, its like lost between park and reverse. I adjusted everything possible on the cable and it makes no difference what so ever. Any idea's or what I should look for?

I have a b&m ratchet shifter . I place the trans in neutral, I put the shifter in neutral, I then lock down the cable. If this isn't working for you I would say the cable is stretched or bitched up somehow. You can buy the cables separately.

I adjusted and adjusted mine until I finally read the instructions. On chrysler autos the shifter does not go all the way forward into park like gm / fords do. It stops about the RK location in the spelled out park location. As long as you can remove the cable from each gear location from the sector lever the shifter cable is adjusted correctly. Now if you are sure it's not the shifter adjustment you could very well have a frayed cable or something wrong inside the transmission.

I am going to try a cable, just strange it started all of a sudden. Cable was kinda close to header so that's why I am thinking cable if that doesn't work it is going to transmission shop :/

I am going to try a cable, just strange it started all of a sudden. Cable was kinda close to header so that's why I am thinking cable if that doesn't work it is going to transmission shop :/
Yup....clearly it's something in the linkage because you can do it by hand....

Jeff

Did you look at the cable? If it's melted anywhere it's junk. Buy a new one and get a heat sleeve to protect it from heat.

gotta say - as it WILL go into park, it has to be something with the shifter/linkage - sadly this is one of those things that is going to be near impossible to diagnose without being there - maybe a few pics would help, but of what exactly, right? My $$ is on some simple little thing that you are overlooking - cable/stop slipped - something fell down into the shifter... you might want to download the installation instructions (if you don't have them) and go through the process as if you were doing a new install.

Yep was definitely the cable it got melted through my heat shield that's why I couldn't see it. Must have vibrated onto header to do that. Oh well new cable shield and all zipped tied out of way.

And when the zip ties break (and they will break) back to square one. 3 options I see. 1. Wrap the exhaust and sheath the cable. 2. Reroute the cable. 3. Use metal to hold the cable. A piece from a spark plug wire loom perhaps, riveted to some sheet metal. Or.4. a combination of these suggestions. Regardless,zip ties near heat will break. And you wont notice until its time for a new cable......again.

-
Back