transmission wont start in park and other stuff

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
well the car wont start in park on the shifter, it needs to be like inbetween R and P or something for it too start. The other problem is that sometimes when Im in park while the car is started its still in reverse and all this other stuff. Is this a linkage problem or transmission problem?

After market floor shifter? Sounds like a linkage adjustment issue. Always adjust the linkage/cable with the shifter in 1st and the tranny in 1st. Otherwise, you'll be in between gears like you describe.

Neutral Safety switch issue. Check your linkage between your shifter and the trans. You probably had something slip or wallow a bit between your shifter and the trans. If you jack the rear up off the ground to make sure you don't put it through the wall of your garage you should be able to adjust and hit the key until it won't start unless you have it in neutral or park.

I replaced the NSS when I rebuilt the transmission last year.

also sometimes when the car is in so called Park, it still can be rolled forward unless I put the shifter into 1st or another gear and then slam it back too park

I would guess your linkage is out of adjustment by the symptoms. Not really a hard job once you get it in the air.

Yup linkage adjustment. Many times when the car has column shift and the column is lowered to service instrument cluster and the shifter isn't moved to neutral first,
Pulling down on the steering column will change that linkage adjustment.

I did some research on your posts and you seem to have a shifter that has a cable to work the linkage... My experence is that either the cable has gotten to close to the exhaust and the plastic cover got burnt or the cable its self is failing... Back in the day when I raced and had a cable opperated shifter I always kept a spare cable around for it. I got so I could change a cable in 15 to 20 min if that tells you anything... I bet I changed 4 cables in 10 years.... This is just my opinion so take a look at the cable and order a extra one to have around as a spare... :read2:John(onecatnodog)Collins

-
Back