Transmission

-

PSegarra

Reaction score
Just got my 66 Dart running and on the road again. Drove the car for about 14 miles and transmission fluid started squirting all under the car. Stopped the car and looked under and transmission fluid was coming from behind the inspection plate. Today I took the transmission out and oil is coming out from the front seal and pump has some play and when pulled oil comes out. It has a lockup TC. Must be time for a complete rebuild.. I am having no luck at all..

Front pump seal is a common place to leak. Be sure that torque converter snout is OK. Be sure to replace front pump bushing to restore clearances. If reusing converter, pressure test it.

A lockup in a 66? Also check the converter for cracks; they're famous for that. Also, if it's not a lockup, but an original, then the front of the converter will have a small register that would be loose and run off center in a later crank pilot hole. When you remove the front seal you would be able to see the condition of the pump bushing. It's a pain to change.

A lockup in a 66? Also check the converter for cracks; they're famous for that. Also, if it's not a lockup, but an original, then the front of the converter will have a small register that would be loose and run off center in a later crank pilot hole. When you remove the front seal you would be able to see the condition of the pump bushing. It's a pain to change.

It is a 1981 318 and 904 transmission.

-
Back