Trashed Stud...8-3/4...Pull the Axle??

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I installed a B-Body 8-3/4 in the 67 Cuda a while back.......I changed out the wheels a few months back to Cragar SS (I HATE puttin' these stinkin' things back on the car...they're miserable)...........

Anyway, I trashed one of my studs.....would've sworn I had it right and gave it only 60# on my air wrench..... Idiot........It wasn't right, and before I realized it wasn't just one of the tighter threads, it was too late........When I got the nut off, the stud was really chewed. My fault..........

My question........... Do I have to pull the axle out a bit to access that stud, or is there enough room to get it OUT and a new one back in there without loosening the axle ? Just don't remember how much clearance there is in there..... ??????????????

There is way more than enough room w/o pulling the axle. Pull the drum, hit it with a BFH and it will fall out the back.

There is way more than enough room w/o pulling the axle. Pull the drum, hit it with a BFH and it will fall out the back.
Yup, that's the easy part. Getting the new one back in is a little more involved but not much. Get a stack of washers that will fit over the largest diameter of the stud. Push the new stud through the axle shaft and put a few washers over the stud but leaving enough room to thread on the lug nut (flat side against the washers) several turns so you don't strip the new one! Tighten the lug nut until the head of the stud bottoms out against the back side of the axle flange. You may have to add washers under the lug nut in stages to do this.

Yeah, I know I could get it in there if there was enough clearance....... I'll be honest with ya'.......

The last time I had to monkey with one of these axles (on the car) at ALL was back in 1973......I was running my 67 Satellite Convertible in what I THINK was N-Stock/A if I remember correctly........About an hour before I had to leave St. Johnsville NY for Utica-Rome Dragway, I heard a squeal in the left rear......knew right away what it was.....NO one was open for a new bearing.....Called Becker's Salvage and got the whole axle, bearing and all, and swapped it out in the driveway.......

I made it to the staging lanes JUST before they started the Stockers (openers).....registered quick and got in line for the win, of course.....I think it was 4 runs that night, and I took home the bacon. (I think I ran high 15's with that 273....9" wrinkle-walls and a sure grip....the car NEVER spun....just launched quick and clean).

.........and there's my story for the evening boys and girls. That was nearly 40 years ago. Give me a break.

-
Back