Treating seams?

-

Pascamp

Reaction score
What method do you guys use to treat spot welded seams (quarters to tail panel, inner fenders to firewall, ect)? Short of splitting the panels or dipping the car what other methods have you guys used. Or is "out of sight out of mind" / "good enough" the preferred tactic?

Need more info are you trying to treat new seams or old ones? If they are new I always spray weldable primer between the panels before I weld them. If it's old seams I use seam sealer on them after removing any old seam sealer. But thats all I got

Need more info are you trying to treat new seams or old ones? If they are new I always spray weldable primer between the panels before I weld them. If it's old seams I use seam sealer on them after removing any old seam sealer. But thats all I got
Factory seams. Really solid car. This car will not need any panel replacements. Just a few patches here and there, but nothing that would warrant new metal.

A good example would be where the quarters are tacked to the outer wheel houses. There was light surface rust (no pitting) on the visible side of both panels. I can only assume that the same is inside the seam.

Up in a tight spot like that I think I would try Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. It has a long hose to get into tight spaces, and has a thin enough consistency that I think would penetrate down between the panels.

Up in a tight spot like that I think I would try Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. It has a long hose to get into tight spaces, and has a thin enough consistency that I think would penetrate down between the panels.
This is actually the best I could come up with also. I do have it on a rotisserie so I could use gravity to my benefit for a change.

I used a product called Penatrol ($10. quart) Lowes. This stuff will seep everywhere. I used it on my Dart on the rotisserie. Brushed it on till it leaked out the other side. This stuff will really stop rust. I have used it on porch railings,Etc. End of problem

I used a product called Penatrol ($10. quart) Lowes. This stuff will seep everywhere. I used it on my Dart on the rotisserie. Brushed it on till it leaked out the other side. This stuff will really stop rust. I have used it on porch railings,Etc. End of problem
That stuff looks pretty interesting. I'll have to do some more research though. Sounds like it may not play well with some primers and paints.

This is actually the best I could come up with also.............
I tried the Eastwood IFC on my '05 Ram rockers. Soaked them heavy and had it running out in places. When/if I cut the rust out I'll try to figure out why it didn't work. I'm thinking it was too far gone on the inside already.

I also like this product and have had good success using it. As mentioned, it's thin and seeps into every nook and cranny.

-
Back