tree removal

-

forced 340

Reaction score
hey guys. i am in need of some tree removal service. i live in Redford mi. does anyone on here or no of a good company to do this? the trees are VERY large. one is a 150-200 year old black walnut, and the other is equally old silver maple.
thanks guys!

You might try contacting someone about the walnut tree. They can bring you some good money and whoever buys it would drop it as well.

Just a thought. If that tree has the ability to be cut up into some nice boards you could be looking at a few thousand dollars.

i have tried that... everyone give me the run around.... the main trunk is almost 4' thick and 12' high! super straight too! they say its not in demand right now. i say they are trying to make a bunch of money off me and my trees.

i have tried that... everyone give me the run around.... the main trunk is almost 4' thick and 12' high! super straight too! they say its not in demand right now. i say they are trying to make a bunch of money off me and my trees.

I don't buy that, I'd say your right about making the money. That trunk would yield some nice boards.

Do they have any power lines around them or septic tank/drainfields or buildings that might interfere with dropping them? Part of the problem is only one tree instead of several (walnut); it is so large that it will take some big equipment to drop it and handle it, and yard trees are notorious for having hidden hardware embedded in them that can ruin saw blades and such.

Try subscribing to Woodmagazine.com; they have a forum on the website with free classifieds. Good luck with it.
C

I have used big 3 tree service several times and had great service. I can look the number up if you like. They are out of Monroe and are professional and insured and can take them down right next to and over buildings.

Do they have any power lines around them or septic tank/drainfields or buildings that might interfere with dropping them? Part of the problem is only one tree instead of several (walnut); it is so large that it will take some big equipment to drop it and handle it, and yard trees are notorious for having hidden hardware embedded in them that can ruin saw blades and such.

Try subscribing to Woodmagazine.com; they have a forum on the website with free classifieds. Good luck with it.
C

the walnut is around power lines and behind my garage... thanks for the input!

Both me and my neighbour had some trees taken down. My front yard had 5 trees in it and I live in a residential area, so the amount of shade made the grass in the front yard lousy and the trees(pine) were struggling/ugly. I priced it out and a tree service wanted $600 for one tree!! I got in touch with a teacher at the high school who had all equipment to do it by hand. Paid him $250-300 for the one tree and the neighbours kid came over and helped. I knocked the other 3 down with hauling a tow behind boom lift home from work.
Neighbour across road had a large walnut tree as well, he didnt want to get rid of it but his neighbour was complaining about the walnuts landing on his car...he was thinking it would be worth $$ but never got any for it. Tree removal was cheap, I think $150....doesnt sound like his walnut tree was as nice as yours though...get in touch with a local mill, they will want the wood and may know someone to do it for you?? Here is a pic of what I brought home for the diy'er

Attachments

• towbehind boom lift.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 163
I have used big 3 tree service several times and had great service. I can look the number up if you like. They are out of Monroe and are professional and insured and can take them down right next to and over buildings.

that would be great! thanks!

What ever you decide, make sure that the person, or company you hire to remove the trees is INSURED!
..and get a copy of his insurance certificates for liability, workers comp, and casualty, and be sure the certificate shows YOU as a certificate holder.

It doesn't cost anything, and contractor should be able to have his insurer supply you with a certificate (showing you as a certificate holder) via email in just a few minutes.

Do not let any contractor work for you who does not FIRST supply you with a written estimate, AND the insurance certs I mentioned earlier. PERIOD!

...btw, for residential contractors of all sorts, Angies List works well for verifications and opinions from past customers.

Just my 2¢.

OK forced, here is the number of a guy that is a logger that the Boy Scout regional director uses to log all the Boy Scout camps in SE Michigan. He is also a Black Walnut "nut" if you will, and would be willing to fairly and accurately access the tree for possible use beyond just cutting it down. His name is Todd Floater and his number is 517-206-5110.

I know he is licensed, insured, and has all of the equipment to remove the tree without problems. He has logged over 2000 trees at Camp Tatonka in Jackson alone!! Give him a call!! Geof

OK forced, here is the number of a guy that is a logger that the Boy Scout regional director uses to log all the Boy Scout camps in SE Michigan. He is also a Black Walnut "nut" if you will, and would be willing to fairly and accurately access the tree for possible use beyond just cutting it down. His name is Todd Floater and his number is 517-206-5110.

I know he is licensed, insured, and has all of the equipment to remove the tree without problems. He has logged over 2000 trees at Camp Tatonka in Jackson alone!! Give him a call!! Geof

thanks! should i tell him you told me to call him? if so what name should i tell him?

What ever you decide, make sure that the person, or company you hire to remove the trees is INSURED!
..and get a copy of his insurance certificates for liability, workers comp, and casualty, and be sure the certificate shows YOU as a certificate holder.

It doesn't cost anything, and contractor should be able to have his insurer supply you with a certificate (showing you as a certificate holder) via email in just a few minutes.

Do not let any contractor work for you who does not FIRST supply you with a written estimate, AND the insurance certs I mentioned earlier. PERIOD!

...btw, for residential contractors of all sorts, Angies List works well for verifications and opinions from past customers.

Just my 2¢.

thanks for the heads up! that is some need to know info for sure!

thanks! should i tell him you told me to call him? if so what name should i tell him?

Mention that you got the number from Dee Slate, he is the head of the Boy Scout camps in SE Michigan, and the guy who pays to have all the Boy Scout work done!!

Dee was quite interested in the fact that it is a Black Walnut tree also, and told quite a different story of it's current desirability!! Geof

I have had a few black walnuts cut down. Very large and straight. I got the same thing as stated, THEY DON'T WANT THEM BECAUSE WHAT MIGHT BE IN THEM, THEY AREN'T WORTH ANYTHING.

Well the ones from my yard I know where they went, piled up in my yard

The last 2 I had cut from place I was taking care of, they topped the trees and then took a break until I had to leave for work.

Next day everything was gone, 2 VERY LARGE TALL STRAIGHT TREES, bet they hauled the logs out instead of cutting them up.

Good luck finding someone interested in it. It would make some dandy fire wood for a wood stove in the garage.

OK....here goes.......

First...contact your local county ag extension agent, every county in the USA has one. They can take a look at your tree and give you a very good idea of how the tree would "grade out" without having a financial interest in it.

If it grades as "lumber" it's not worth as much as if it grades "veneer". If it grades "veneer", you're looking at some VERY BIG $$$$$! And if it does grade veneer, the person who does the removal should be digging about a foot and a half to two feet down around the circumference of the base in order to get as many board feet as possible. Also, the wood in the stump is burl, which also goes for VERY BIG $$$$$.

If your tree does grade veneer, place an ad in the paper and take bids on it.

When I was a kid on the farm in Iowa, the state of Iowa bid some black walnuts that graded veneer out of one of the state parks....winning bid was about $300,000 PER TREE!!!!!!

This is something that could prove to be a very lucrative proposition for you....

Just my 2¢.

This. I did tree work for a long time. My father owned a businesses. $1,000,000 worth of liability coverage. Get a certificate of coverage from the company. You may have to have the power company come and drop the service. You wont find any company worth hiring that will take the tree down for nothing other then the wood. Theres lots of over head in that business.

The thing about walnut not being worth anything right now may very well be the truth. There is some kind of blight that is affecting walnut trees right now, and lot's of areas have forbidden logs from them being transported from the property on which they grew. If that is the case with your tree, it may just make some beautiful firewood. :(

Dee also has a huge connection the the Amish community, and may very well be able to either sell that Black Walnut through them for you, or have them make you one heck of a nice piece of furniture out of it. They built his entire kitchen from harvested wood from Tatonka!! And, the Amish don't work the same way as we do, and definetly march to the beat of their own drummer. They're not interested in profits, only harmony!!Geof

-
Back