Tree stump removal up a hill

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We had a couple of wind storms 2 weeks ago and when I went out to my property my neighbor came over and showed me a large downed Douglas Fir tree. He's the one in the pic, he's 6 foot 4 to give you perspective on the size of that root ball. I limbed it, starting cutting sections from the top, when there was about 15 feet left it stood up. I've got to get this thing out and up the hill, will cut down the remainder leaving the stump and root ball, think it will weigh at least a ton. The neighbor offered to bring his truck over, both rigs will have winches but if that doesn't work, I'm looking for ideas. Can't burn cause no water on the property.
New computer, same phone, tried saving pics upside down, still posted upside down. Hmm.

Attachments

• IMAG01139.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMAG01140.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 258
  • IMAG01141 (2).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 268
Block and Tackle time it would seem to me.

move it? hook an old 70's slant dodge power wagon to it and go!!!!

I believe that's what my neighbor at my house is bringing. There's a lot of water run off going down the hill to the lake, the roots on this tree never had to go down, they just spread out. Steep and muddy, it oughta be interesting.

Block and Tackle time it would seem to me.

The only mechanical advantage I'll have is one snatch block I can use on one of the winches. I do have access to some heavy pulleys at my work for tower rigging, might have to borrow one of those.

Take a trash pump out there, run a hose to the lake and one that'll reach the stump, dump used oil over the stump every couple days for a few weeks and light it up.

Take a trash pump out there, run a hose to the lake and one that'll reach the stump, dump used oil over the stump every couple days for a few weeks and light it up.

getting dirt out of it would help it burn a bunch. not legal or environment friendly, or even green but they will burn at night and throw a old tire or 2 in there.
but you said could not burn for no water?

If you can get it to lay over again, take the suggested trash pump and wash as much dirt off the root ball as you can. That should take a lot of weight off of it. If you have to, you could use the trash pump to feed a pressure washer. It will be a muddy, nasty job.....but it should help. Also, you may have to cut the roots in the direction the tree fell to get it to bust loose. If they were strong enough to stand the tree back up with 15' of trunk, they must be pretty substantial roots! Work safe, and good luck. :prayer:

It's gonna weight a lot more than a ton... You'd be amazed. I would suggest you try and roll it down hill and get the dirt out of it, then either cut it up more at the expense of some chains (you can't rinse it off) or try and drag it back up without the weight of the dirt. I use my loader and backhoe to roll them around and knock off the dirt, then push them around to where I need them.

Burn it out, fire cleanses.

You just need a bunch of liquid fuel to make it light up and go away. Enough heat and it will dry out and burn to ashes. No heavy work and a great time watching.

Just bring some hotdogs and marshmallows. :)

You don't need water to burn it, just do it when the fire hazard conditions are low

Thanks all for the suggestions. The neighbor and I went to see if we could pull the root ball up with two winches, what a comedy of errors. First, when I dropped the tree, the wedge cut out was okay but the backside cut was unlevel and the tree pinched my saw in there, bye bye brand new bar. So we pulled the tree over with the the Dodge's winch. We tried to position the trucks to get two winches on the stump, neighbor got stuck, too much hill/mud and I had to winch him back up. His front end was open and he had all terrains, I gotta say tho I loved hearing that inline Cummins diesel snort and grunt it's way around. I think it's excavator time, don't want to burn it in place, there's eagles living in the trees on the lake, areas too sensitive for that. Thanks for the download tool, no admin on this profile, will have to post pics when they don't come out sideways.

That's one big tree.... #-o

Videos of the next attempt, we need a good laugh... LOL! :D

[ame]https://youtu.be/V13CZnUCOaQ[/ame]

like she said, " that's a big one!"......

like you said, the roots were all on the surface, plenty of dirt there , I would cut up the tree, looks like rain will eventually wash off the dirt, cut it into smaller pieces drag it out of your way?

Dart 67 thanks. I uploaded the app, will try posting new photos again.

Attachments

• IMAG01194.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG01196edited.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG01197edited.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 160
getting dirt out of it would help it burn a bunch. not legal or environment friendly, or even green but they will burn at night and throw a old tire or 2 in there.
but you said could not burn for no water?

DNR law...must have water...although it actually does read a 5 gallon pail of,water is permissable. Or something like that.
Dealt with something like this,year's ago. We widdled as much wood off of it as we could. Burnt up a lot of chains & blades...
Snatch blocks and lots,of cables and chains, anything will move...just have to be smarter than it...

So you've removed the 15' trunk, and now you have a stump? Leave it in the ground! Nature will take care of itself

We've got stumps that are over 30 years old and still haven't decayed. Ahaha. I'm going to burn them out and be done with it. Some sheet metal and charcoal can burn them out pretty well and keep it controlled. However, if that isn't practical for whatever reason, you can always rent a stump grinder.

I would have simply left it there to rot.

-
Back