tribute to Zane

-
just some backround information, me and zane grew up together, we were born a few months apart and had been with eachother ever since. Both of our interest in cars was strange. Nobody else in our family has ever been into cars, engines, hot rods, harleys or really anything with an engine for that matter. And it was a strange coincidence that we both started picking up on it at the same time, about 7th grade. We both started off small. my first encounter was a go cart that i bought from a guy down the street from me. Zane had to go faster and bought one too. we had alot of fun racing around. We gradually sold our go carts and moved up to honda 3 wheelers, (which are extreemly dangerous 8) lol. I dont know how many close encounters we had.

remeber that if anything broke we fixed it ourselves, thats how we learned. there was no one around to teach us anything. Everything from changing oil, spark plugs or head gaskets was new to us and we learned how to do it.....with alot of trial and error of course.

We finally got to be driving age, and were more than ready to head into the car buisness.

I had been into mopar since day one, the 1970 dodge challenger had made sure of that for me. I loved the lines, colors, interiors and just thought GMs and blue ovals looked boring to me.

Zane lived on a farm where the only vehicles were chrysler products. His dad refused to buy a chevy or ford for the farm. He had very good luck with dodge so he stuck with it. Thats where zane leaned and bled chrysler orange.

We both worked and worked freshman summer, i was the first one to come through and bought a running/driving 72 dodge dart four door in pretty rough shape. Zane couldnt afford a car yet so we worked on my car together. We put headers on my dart and a clutch fan. First techical job was taking off the factory two barrel intake and cleaning the carbon out of the exhaust cross over.

While we were hod rodding my dart around zane was saving up for a dart.

I had run short of money and had to sell my dart, i told zane that i would give him a really good deal on the dart as long as he didnt sell it to anyone else, and i got to buy it back if he wanted to sell it. Thats how zane got my old dart but that didnt feed the fuel long enough.

The next summer (sophmore summer) I had finnaly regained financial stability and was in the market for another mopar again. i had a 72 dodge charger parts car and was looking for a 71 or 72 dodge charger to be the project. I was driving my motorcycle up to my uncles place a few hours away one day and was passing through a small town. I cought a glimpse of a duster rear end as someone was closing the garage door. I became curous and asked if the owner wanted to sell the car. in short i became the owner of that 74 duster and still have it today. Its now my baby and noone is ever going to buy it from me because it will never be for sale. but back to zane

zane was halfway looking for another car, he loved the dart i sold him, but he wanted a two door with a better body/interior. When we started looking for a project for zane we whent over everything. One was a 79 dodge warlock that looked prommising from 30 ft away but was a bondo bucket that didnt have a rust free panel on it. It did however have a 340, so naturally the owner wanted twice as much as it was worth. we went through to many peoples houses and farms hoping for somthing promising but came up with too much work and too much price tag.

then came one day. I was at work, i worked at a gas station at the time. and drove my duster to work everyday. Alot of truck drivers talked to me about my car, and mopars they used to have and ones they had for sale ect.... somtimes it was hard to tell if they really had a mopar or not an were feeding me full of crap. anyway, one day a man had stoped to get gas and noticed my duster. He struck up a conversation with me and had told me that a friend of a friend had an old dodge dart. He said he was trying to sell it and it was only 65 miles away.

I quickly called zane and we were on our way the next weekend. Zanes dad even whent along for the trip.

Zane had called the guy with the "old dodge dart" and gotten a little information about it, basicly that it was a 73 dodge dart swinger that he had bought from the origional owner who lived only a few blocks away. The car only had 83k miles on it.

When zane saw it he knew it was his.

The car was origionally a 73 dodge dart swinger, tan on tan, 318 with a 904 torque flite tranmission. delux interior, power disc brakes with 4.5 inch bolt pattern wheels. I was exacltly what zane wanted. When the car was brand new, the oner put glass pack mufflers on it. When the car was about 15 years old the origional owner had repainted the car, he was growing tired of the tan exterior color and opted for a burnt bronz mettalic paint, they did doorjambs, trunk, about everyting except for the engine bay.

anyway. the price was a litte too much than zane could afford, and zane didnt like "dealing" with people down in price. but the owner must of seen that zane was in high school and couldnt quite swing it. The owner did somthing that most wouldnt do and knocked 2k dollars off his asking price so that it was exactly what zane could afford. :cheers:

Zane couldnt quit smiling, the car was driven all the way back from the oners house with no problems that a new fuel filter couldnt fix. The 318 purred and you could tell the car didnt have a lot miles on it.

well, until i can get some pictures loaded up.....
the 318 purred, but it was stock 1973 equipment, not very powerful.

i found him an article about using the stock 318 bottom end and porting a set of 360 heads and using a street strip cam that was supposed to make some power, but he knew a guy that had a 360 sitting in a 81 dodge pickup looking to be used for somthing.

Zane worked at Woods repair in Highmore. Bob woods said whatever he wanted to build they could do in shop free of labor. So it was decided that a mild street/strip 360 was to be built and the origional 904 was to be rebuilt with a shift kit.

Zane completely pulled the 360 apart and woods sent the block off for machine work

the stock crank was reground and a set of eagle h beam rods were used. Forged speed pro pistons and a comp cam were to be used.

I found him brand new aero head racing refurbished heads that already came with bronz valve guides, 2.02 intake vavles, ect.....

SNV30017.jpg

SNV30016.jpg

SNV30015.jpg

SNV30014.jpg

SNV30013.jpg

Keep the story up Tate. Don't let it lay low.

Hey, BlkArrow, thanks for doing the pictures for Tate.

thank you very much eric (blkarrow) for resizing the pics and posting them. they look great

this is just the first set of pics, the "before pics"

the dart was relativly rust free(for a 35 year old mopar), except for the lower quarters and one small spot on the bottom of the front fender which is typical

one part that proved to be worse than i thought was the vinyl top, it looked to be in great shape considering it was origional. not faded or shredded. but it was a perfect place to collect moisture:angry7: needless to say, there was some cancer under the vinyl top.

the main job was the drivers side quarter pannel, it had been hit by an "old lady" according to the old owner. the only thing i could manage to find was a quarter panel skin from year one. Cheap panel needed alot of work. The body shop spent the good part of a day making it perfect. I didnt know they were stamped soo crudley, there needs to be some better panels made, not that cheap oriental crap that needs that much work.

by the way,

i still need(all parts need to be for 73 dart):
* a really nice pair of front blinker lenses

*the plastic interior pieces that cover the front posts???im not exactly sure what you call them

*anyone know where i can buy a new wiring harness? (i cant find them for 73 abody)

*I also need driver and passenger windows (front and back), these ones were damaged by sand when the body shop was sandblasting the roof

Keep the story up Tate. Don't let it lay low.

Hey, BlkArrow, thanks for doing the pictures for Tate.

thanks rumble, theres alot of story and alot of progress pictures, alot of people put overtime hours into getting this car done as short as posstible. Other than the TV show overhaulin, ive never seen a car get done this fast

-
Back