Trick flow heads

-
RB,
I am only a loud mouth fool to you because you cannot win an argument with logic & facts. When you have facts, you don't need to do name-calling.

I have read LOTS of your posts on this website that are just absolute bullsh*t, but I didn't respond & just let then go. If you like, in future I can respond....

Lol. Whatever gets you through the day I suppose. You are ignorant on so many levels it’s comical. The beehive spring is just one example. Mostly it’s a cost savings to the OE’s. That’s it. A smaller retainer costs less to make. But all the magazine, bloggers, vloggers and talking heads all got the memo to say this is “new technology” when it’s not even new. So blow it out your ***.

Bastid,
Are you even able to construct a post without insulting people that have a different view or experience to you? So far, the answer is no.
People like you use this language to cover your own lack of knowledge. Oh, by the way the Ovate wire used in Comp BHs is new. So there is something you have LEARNED!

Bastid,
Are you even able to construct a post without insulting people that have a different view or experience to you? So far, the answer is no.
People like you use this language to cover your own lack of knowledge. Oh, by the way the Ovate wire used in Comp BHs is new. So there is something you have LEARNED!

Let me help you out. I realize you are nothing but a troll but it’s all you can do.

My first post in this thread asked what’s better about the beehive spring. The correct answer is nothing. Except they are cheaper to produce and cost is a big deal to the OE’s. That’s exactly why they use them.

Then you come along and say they they can use LESS pressure (only if you love broken parts).

Your next claim is they have less surge than a conventional spring. Maybe. And that’s a weak maybe. Surge is caused by many things and the shape of the wire has a minimal impact on it. As an example, if you are fighting a surge issue the biggest chance is you aren’t close enough to coil bind. Shim the spring closer to coil bind and it stops it.

Next up you claim they don’t need a damper, yet now they make a dual conical spring. The inner spring does add some pressure, but it’s there mostly to control harmonics. I’ve seen serious damage done buy buying a triple spring (an actual triple, not two coil springs and a thin damper) and then pulling the inner out to save 20-30 pounds of installed pressure. You could see the valve train go in and out of control on the dyno. You could see the lobes taking a beating. The valve stems got the snot beat out of them. Even the retainers were showing signs of stress. We put the inners back in and it all cleaned up.

Once again, the question is what does the beehive do that a conventional spring won’t do? Answer: nothing. They won’t extend the rpm range. They won’t control the valve train with less pressure. They may (if you have some other issue) clean up some harmonics problems, but that can be attributed to the different resonance frequency of the beehive over the conventional spring. In that case, a change to ANY spring may have helped. Or a change in retainer weight.

The blanket statement that beehives are better is just nonsense. Did I not insult your highness with this post? You invite insults. You get exactly what you deserve.

20211203_194944.jpg

RB,
Another bad day?
Dual conicals. Nothing to do with spring harmonics, everything to do with making a higher rate spring for very high rpm use. Conicals, because of the design/shape, can also take a little more valve lift than a comparable BH, all else being equal.

Your overall ignorance is just astounding
. Logic failure, even worse: if BHs, as you claim, are used because they are cheaper in production vehicles, why stop there? Why have expensive hemi heads? Why not save even more money & use inline valve heads?

RB,
Another bad day?
Dual conicals. Nothing to do with spring harmonics, everything to do with making a higher rate spring for very high rpm use. Conicals, because of the design/shape, can also take a little more valve lift than a comparable BH, all else being equal.

Your overall ignorance is just astounding
. Logic failure, even worse: if BHs, as you claim, are used because they are cheaper in production vehicles, why stop there? Why have expensive hemi heads? Why not save even more money & use inline valve heads?

Yeah, everyone runs beehive springs because they are so cool. You know, you can disagree and not be a prick. I understand that you think any new gadget that comes along and it marketed like crazy has value. That’s your problem. So is trolling. It must be the foreign thing. The fact is no one is switching to beehive springs. A discussion of the resonance frequency of valve trains is far above your limited experience. And you are not worth the time to bother with.

RB,
Yeah. You got something right for ONCE. People DO run BH springs because they are cool, they do the job they were engineered to do.
Smart people are using them.....
'I understand that you think any new gadget that comes along & it marketed like crazy has value. That's your problem'. Really? What other new gadget?
You don't understand ANYTHING.

No need to turn this thread into a pissing match between two hard headed fools![/QUOTE
Agree. Why can't a case be made for an opinion about beehive springs without personal attacks or name calling no matter who started it. Makes you think twice about contributing to a post for fear of being dragged through the mud by someone who disagrees.

No need to turn this thread into a pissing match between two hard headed fools![/QUOTE
Agree. Why can't a case be made for an opinion about beehive springs without personal attacks or name calling no matter who started it. Makes you think twice about contributing to a post for fear of being dragged through the mud by someone who disagrees.

I made my case. The dummy from down under who is dragging the thread down.

I’ll ask the question for all of you who think the beehive has any advantages (except Bewy because I’ve already seen enough of his crap).

Name a case in which you switched to beehives FIXED AN ISSUE WITH YOUR VALVE TRAIN? Seems like a simple question.

The OP originally asked about switching to Beehives before he even had the heads. My question was why? Because he read some article or watched a video? Virtually ANY valve train harmonics can be cleaned up with other, more effective methods. Like what? The vast majority of valve train harmonics issues are caused by not running the spring closer to coil bind. If you are .100 or more away from coil bind the springs will likely surge. Shim them to .060 and it stops. Was there a need for the beehive spring? No. You fix the issue you had by the poor installation of the springs.

Next on the list of valve train harmonics issues is the pushrod. You can’t get the pushrod stuff enough. And a bending pushrod will induce all kinds of bad things into the valve train. Will a beehive correct that?

The OP questioned why TF didn’t send the heads out with a beehive spring. You could call and ask them, but I suggest that TF did their homework BEFORE releasing that head package and used the best spring for the intended use of the head. They could have chosen a beehive spring, yet they didn’t. That says volumes right there.

One more time. What benefit is the beehive spring in the OP’s application? The answer is none. It’s really as simple as that unless you are Bewy and it pains him to think he got ate up by marketing.

Here is just one example of “marketing” doing its intended work. Comp Cams not long ago released their “low shock” series of lobes. Of course they called them ground breaking, new, innovative, paradigm smashing new wonder lobes and all that. The reality is Mike Jones has been grinding those kinds of lobes for better than 30 years. Since Comp has a marketing budget that could buy out and kill 5 other cam grinders and not make a dent in their bottom line, it goes unchecked.

There is no reason to buy a set of heads and change springs out because of a perceived benefit when there is none, and the end results could be expensive.

RB.
You call me [ & others ] internet trolls. Was never quite sure what meant. Now I know: anybody who knows more than Rat Bastid [ which insn't that difficult....].

For those interested in learning [ RB need not apply ], here is some more info on BH springs.

[1] PHR magazine Nov 2011. 519 hp, pump gas, iron head Mopar 360, W2 heads.
'Initially running dual springs with close to 230 lbs on the seat, he [ Robinson ] backed off & switched over to lightweight BH springs.'

[2] Cutting edge valve train technology, PHR Jan 2004.
' The radical profiles in use today demand a radical change in the way people think about springs....you'll notice that the shape of the BH spring precludes a standard spring damper from being used inside the spring. Dampers are used normally to tame harmonics at certain frequencies. Without a damper in a traditional spring, these harmonics prevent the valve following the profile, costing power & shortening the life of the valvetrain. The BH however copes with harmonics without a damper by virtue of its variable rate.'

RB.
You call me [ & others ] internet trolls. Was never quite sure what meant. Now I know: anybody who knows more than Rat Bastid [ which insn't that difficult....].

For those interested in learning [ RB need not apply ], here is some more info on BH springs.

[1] PHR magazine Nov 2011. 519 hp, pump gas, iron head Mopar 360, W2 heads.
'Initially running dual springs with close to 230 lbs on the seat, he [ Robinson ] backed off & switched over to lightweight BH springs.'

[2] Cutting edge valve train technology, PHR Jan 2004.
' The radical profiles in use today demand a radical change in the way people think about springs....you'll notice that the shape of the BH spring precludes a standard spring damper from being used inside the spring. Dampers are used normally to tame harmonics at certain frequencies. Without a damper in a traditional spring, these harmonics prevent the valve following the profile, costing power & shortening the life of the valvetrain. The BH however copes with harmonics without a damper by virtue of its variable rate.'

And yet, to this day Trick Flow doesn’t offer a head with beehive springs. We already know that Edelbrock needs you to consult with them on their intake manifolds and it sounds like you need to get on the phone with Trick Flow and explain to them how stupid they are for not sending their assembled heads out without beehives.

If you have a valve train harmonics issue, the prudent, logical, calculated way to approach the problem is to determine why you have the problem. That would include looking at coil bind, pushrod stiffness, retainer/lock weight and resonance frequency rather than immediately change the spring and blame it. Certainly that would require you to think rather than just assume. No sense in thinking. Troll away old man.

Let me help you out. I realize you are nothing but a troll but it’s all you can do.

My first post in this thread asked what’s better about the beehive spring. The correct answer is nothing. Except they are cheaper to produce and cost is a big deal to the OE’s. That’s exactly why they use them.

Then you come along and say they they can use LESS pressure (only if you love broken parts).

Your next claim is they have less surge than a conventional spring. Maybe. And that’s a weak maybe. Surge is caused by many things and the shape of the wire has a minimal impact on it. As an example, if you are fighting a surge issue the biggest chance is you aren’t close enough to coil bind. Shim the spring closer to coil bind and it stops it.

Next up you claim they don’t need a damper, yet now they make a dual conical spring. The inner spring does add some pressure, but it’s there mostly to control harmonics. I’ve seen serious damage done buy buying a triple spring (an actual triple, not two coil springs and a thin damper) and then pulling the inner out to save 20-30 pounds of installed pressure. You could see the valve train go in and out of control on the dyno. You could see the lobes taking a beating. The valve stems got the snot beat out of them. Even the retainers were showing signs of stress. We put the inners back in and it all cleaned up.

Once again, the question is what does the beehive do that a conventional spring won’t do? Answer: nothing. They won’t extend the rpm range. They won’t control the valve train with less pressure. They may (if you have some other issue) clean up some harmonics problems, but that can be attributed to the different resonance frequency of the beehive over the conventional spring. In that case, a change to ANY spring may have helped. Or a change in retainer weight.

The blanket statement that beehives are better is just nonsense. Did I not insult your highness with this post? You invite insults. You get exactly what you deserve.
Better harmonics from what I've read. I'm not against using the dual I was wondering if the beehive would be better that's all. Just want to make sure. I would think if trick flow offers a cam with the heads package it would be ok
All things have a resonante frequency. Building oilfield compressors, occassionally they would have a contractor come and check the piping and vessel.resonant frequencies to make sure they were not multiples of the running RPM. The two together can excite one another, and cause vibration in the piping leading to eventual failure. This was on piping of 2" to 24" diameters.
Valve springs have a resonant frequency. If you are running the engine at a multiple of that frequency, the spring can start to surge. You could use a plexiglass valve cover and a timing light with the retart dial to watch the valve spring. When it starts to surge, there is like a wave that travels up and down the spring between the individual coils. There are youtube videos available to watch.
Beehive springs have and advantage there in that the different diameters hae different resonant frequencies, which resists the surge. Pretty much all the factories are using all the means available to reduce vehicle weight and materials used. The new Mopar Hemi valve stems are 5/16, which is only a few thousandths smaller than the Chevy LS at 8mm. Ford and import multivalve are even smaller. This also reduces valve weight for higher RPM. The smaller and lighter retainers and keepers also aid this.
I am putting LS 5.3 valves, I 1.9", E 1.55" in my Ford 289 heads to aid airflow. The HFT cam was on the way out and the knurled guides getting loose. Bronze 5/6 guides will be installed and honed to fit the 8mm valve stems. New exhaust seats for unleaded to fit the +0.100 valves. Add in a bit of bowl and port work for snappy street performance. I relate this Ford info just for an idea for you guys. Just check valve lengths.
My one problem was finding the valve springs. 1966 to 68 289 heads had spring installed height of 1.64". Too short for the LS springs 1.8". TFS sells a PAC beehive with the required spring rates and 1.6" installed height.
There is another spring option that is reportedly better, but of course more expensive. These are conical. The beehive springs diameter changes slowly at first but the last couple of coils change rapidly at the top. Conical springs vary from the bottom to the top, evenly.A straight edge held against the side will touch every coil.
Very aggressive cams require springs that may be beyond what a beehive or conical.can deliver. When you make a spring stiffer, the wire diameter needs to increase, which can lead to failure. This is where double and triple springs come into play. Each spring can be a bit less stiff, but the total is much stiffer. They are also wound in opposite directions to combat surge. Now these springs are heavier, so require a bit more spring rate to offset their own inertia.

Better harmonics from what I've read. I'm not against using the dual I was wondering if the beehive would be better that's all. Just want to make sure. I would think if trick flow offers a cam with the heads package it would be ok
TFS does sell a BH spring with 1.6" installed height. Good for my 0.500" lift with 1.7 rockers and HFT lifters. About 100# on the seat and 250# over the nose.
Spring choice is all application. A very aggressive hydraulic roller or solid roller cam is probably better with a double spring package. A street or fairly hot street application should get away with the appropriately speced beehive or conical springs.

You said:

I only see one cam offered for the BBM from TF.

The heads come with 3 spring options.
HFT, HR, SR.
Double springs but different spring rates. The flat tappet is more sensitive to high spring loads. The solid roller cams need fairly high spring rates to control the valve train. IMHO, the head manufacturers supply their assembled heads with dual springs on costs and the idea that if you are purchasing aftermarket heads, you probably track it.

Exactly. The beehive spring is not new. The 215 Buick came with them and a couple of others did too. But nothing that was performance oriented.
Bewy is correct, you are full of it. The Buick 215 used standard single springs.
Beehives have been in use longer than since the manufacturers adopted in the racing community. Like conical are just now becoming available to the market.

Lol. Whatever gets you through the day I suppose. You are ignorant on so many levels it’s comical. The beehive spring is just one example. Mostly it’s a cost savings to the OE’s. That’s it. A smaller retainer costs less to make. But all the magazine, bloggers, vloggers and talking heads all got the memo to say this is “new technology” when it’s not even new. So blow it out your ***.
Making or manufacturing are similar terms. Making is the act of manufacturing. To make or machine or stamp a retainer costs the same. Where they save is material. A few grams off each one when manufacturing millions a year adds up to a bin more, which adds up to profits for the bean counters.

RB,
Yeah. You got something right for ONCE. People DO run BH springs because they are cool, they do the job they were engineered to do.
Smart people are using them.....
'I understand that you think any new gadget that comes along & it marketed like crazy has value. That's your problem'. Really? What other new gadget?
You don't understand ANYTHING.
Bewy, I dare say you and I have had this pissing match with RB previously. Some things are not worth responding to. Might be good for both of us to make a comment and ignore the rest. Kind of falls into taking a horse to water and getting it to drink. Now getting a pig to roll in mud is easy.

I made my case. The dummy from down under who is dragging the thread down.

I’ll ask the question for all of you who think the beehive has any advantages (except Bewy because I’ve already seen enough of his crap).

Name a case in which you switched to beehives FIXED AN ISSUE WITH YOUR VALVE TRAIN? Seems like a simple question.

The OP originally asked about switching to Beehives before he even had the heads. My question was why? Because he read some article or watched a video? Virtually ANY valve train harmonics can be cleaned up with other, more effective methods. Like what? The vast majority of valve train harmonics issues are caused by not running the spring closer to coil bind. If you are .100 or more away from coil bind the springs will likely surge. Shim them to .060 and it stops. Was there a need for the beehive spring? No. You fix the issue you had by the poor installation of the springs.

Next on the list of valve train harmonics issues is the pushrod. You can’t get the pushrod stuff enough. And a bending pushrod will induce all kinds of bad things into the valve train. Will a beehive correct that?

The OP questioned why TF didn’t send the heads out with a beehive spring. You could call and ask them, but I suggest that TF did their homework BEFORE releasing that head package and used the best spring for the intended use of the head. They could have chosen a beehive spring, yet they didn’t. That says volumes right there.

One more time. What benefit is the beehive spring in the OP’s application? The answer is none. It’s really as simple as that unless you are Bewy and it pains him to think he got ate up by marketing.

Here is just one example of “marketing” doing its intended work. Comp Cams not long ago released their “low shock” series of lobes. Of course they called them ground breaking, new, innovative, paradigm smashing new wonder lobes and all that. The reality is Mike Jones has been grinding those kinds of lobes for better than 30 years. Since Comp has a marketing budget that could buy out and kill 5 other cam grinders and not make a dent in their bottom line, it goes unchecked.

There is no reason to buy a set of heads and change springs out because of a perceived benefit when there is none, and the end results could be expensive.
Wellll, Bewy gave his opinion and there is valid evidense to back it up. What this boils down to is a difference in vision or application.

Dale,
Spot on with your comments. People who have reasoning & logic on their side win the argument against name-callers. From what I have seen, the conical springs have a higher spring rate & will take more lift than a similar BH & have all the BH benefits.
There is now a dual-conical available.

Dale,
Spot on with your comments. People who have reasoning & logic on their side win the argument against name-callers. From what I have seen, the conical springs have a higher spring rate & will take more lift than a similar BH & have all the BH benefits.
There is now a dual-conical available.
It would seem with the one dislike that Rat is having a pissy fit.
I expect dual conical would be for radical solid roller race applications. I also expect the cost to be pretty high.
Have a great day and keep smiling. And give youth an education every chance you get.

-
Back