Trick to get KYB front shock installed

-

twister360

Reaction score
I replaced rear shocks no problem. Having trouble with the fronts. I removed wheels/tires and removed worn shocks without any difficulty. I compress the KYB shock, but can't move fast enough to get it in place before the shock fully extends.
Is there a strap to hold in the collapsed position till you get it installed?

Thanks. Gary

Bingo! Exactly what I use. The zip ties should be a little thick. Compress the shock and tie it down. You have to be pretty fast without them! LOL!
Once there in place, just cut the ties and aim.
Make sure the rubber grommet is on the metal cup up top the shock!

Thanks for the replies!!
The rears were compressed and banded, but most likely to fit in a shorter box. Why couldn't they do this on the fronts?

Thanks again

Can't you just push up a little bit when trying to install them?

That's how I install my Monroe gas filled shocks. You just push them up to compress them once you get the top stud in the hole, and then let them expand until you can line up the lower bolt...

i did compress the shock but the KYB expanded too fast to get into position. i did use the zip tie method. i had to link 2 heavy duty zips together and i took a small 75# zip and placed it between the metal washer and the upper body of the shock and left it loose. i then took the HD zips and ran it thru 75# zip and then cinched up the 75# zip tie so as to keep the linked zips in place. i then compressed the shock and tightened the HD zips until it was compressed.
I then slipped the shock in place and installed the lower bolt, cut the small zip and aimed the shock into position.
Easy.

Thanks for the zip tie suggestion. I had Monroe shocks at one time and they were very easy to compress, but the KYB Gas A Just is very stiff.

-
Back