Trickflow trackheat or performer rpm

-
I ran a Holley Street Dominator single plane on my 400/ 500 stroker with the next size up 236/242 cam and Edelbrock heads. Certainly no lack of torque, so if you already have the Trick Flow intake, I wouldn't bother changing.

A couple of intake tests
Intake Manifold Engine & RPM Range Test - Mopar Muscle Magazine
Part 2 of Hot Rod's Mopar Intake Manifold Shootout
I think what you’re going to see with your cam timing and stroke is that the intake is almost a non factor here. My biggest concern would be that the intake tract isn’t acting as a restriction to the relatively small cylinder port window with the big cubic inches.
Look at the specs on that engine. 260+ duration 650 lift 12.5:1 compression.

Sorry that's not apples to apples even remotely.

With the length of the runners on the Track heat, it's almost the same as the RPM! I'm sure there's no lack of Torque.

Plus it’s an RB, so the runners are longer. But, part one or two of the B engine test don’t really apply either, with the OP's engine at 512 cubic inches with a 4-3/8 bore and a 4-1/4 inch crank. But, it does give some insight as to how a Victor intake (probably the closest intake to the track heat) compares to the Performer RPM...

The rpm most likely be better under 4000 rpms where your engine will live 98% of the time, but I'd still start with what you got and go from there, least when/if you go rpm you know exactly what's the difference and which you prefer. You might see no need for more than you got now and no need to spend more money.

Plus on a full throttle or even aggressive part throttle how much time are you gonna spend under 4000 rpm to benefit from the extra low?

And under normal driving your engine more than capable of making the 5-50hp it takes to move your car at regular driving speeds. Unless your intake lacks at various part throttle driving you might not notice to much difference between them.

Another thing to consider is that it's a manual transmission car with 4.10 gears and a 28 inch tire. It could probably have an old Edelbrock STR-15 with a pair of 850s on it and still blow the tires off at will in anything less than fifth gear...

It really doesn't matter which intake you use. You're never going to get traction with that combination anyway. But, for argument sake the Performer RPM will produce more torque throughout the RPM range than the Track Heat will. That said, I run a ported Victor on my street 499" RB and it still has more bottom end than I can hook up, but it sure is fun at 6,200 RPM's.

Tom

Personally, my feeling is that on a mild combo like that, with the extra tall final gearing and manual trans.......the RPM might be more satisfying from the seat of the pants during normal driving.

Yup
Personally, my feeling is that on a mild combo like that, with the extra tall final gearing and manual trans.......the RPM might be more satisfying from the seat of the pants during normal driving.

That's a big might.

My engine (470) was making over 500 ft pounds at 3000 rpm and over 600 at 4000 rpm.
With double the cam duration at .050 of the OP's and a track heat intake untouched with a blp 850 and annular boosters.
A 512 will have absolutely no issues with torque down low. I would not use a dual plane to make more torque and for what it's worth the trickflow 240 ports are already a high torque port ...they are small, like sbc 220 cc.
I think the 230-236 cam is going to peak around 5k in that set up so feed it as much as you can.

I’m not suggesting the OP run out and buy a RPM.
He should try what he has.

But if he feels the motor is a bit soft when he’s lugging around in 5th and 6th gear.......and is looking for improvement in that area of operation.....he might consider trying the RPM.
It’s a whole different situation than running an auto with a high stall converter.

The crossover point........where the single plane will start to surpass the dual plane will likely be in the 3500rpm range.

Last edited:
Top end horsepower and violent acceleration with minimized wheel spin. I bet you with either intake he is well over 400 ft lbs above 3k rpm. More than enough for the street.
Yep! My little 10:1 470 with Eddy heads, a bigger solid roller and RPM intake made 500 ft lbs from 3k all the way up to 5k on a chassis dyno. MORE than enough to put a smile on your face!

Yep! My little 10:1 470 with Eddy heads, a bigger solid roller and RPM intake made 500 ft lbs from 3k all the way up to 5k on a chassis dyno. MORE than enough to put a smile on your face!
Exactly, the whole debate is just splitting hairs. You aren’t going to kill the bottom end with a single plane, and we all know the intake manifold is not what limits the Big Block Mopar on the top end. The RPM and Trick Flow are both badass manifolds.

Speaking from direct experience, which 98% of this thread lacks...

I have have a M1 on my current 511" LD with 280@ .050@larger nitrous friendly cam and it is fine on the street woth a 3.23 gear. The big manifold likes fuel compared to the Holley SD that was on it.

As far as getting traction goes that is up to the operator. Experience > regurgitated internet info is a fact of life.

FB_IMG_1690945863519.jpg

Speaking from direct experience, which 98% of this thread lacks...

I have have a M1 on my current 511" LD with 280@ .050@larger nitrous friendly cam and it is fine on the street woth a 3.23 gear. The big manifold likes fuel compared to the Holley SD that was on it.

As far as getting traction goes that is up to the operator. Experience > regurgitated internet info is a fact of life.

View attachment 1716122113
Looks like a fun car, what times are you running?

It really doesn't matter which intake you use. You're never going to get traction with that combination anyway. But, for argument sake the Performer RPM will produce more torque throughout the RPM range than the Track Heat will. That said, I run a ported Victor on my street 499" RB and it still has more bottom end than I can hook up, but it sure is fun at 6,200 RPM's.

Tom
Same here , but mine doesn`t want to stop at 6200 , not even 6700 , "most I`ve had it !"
On a 500'' engine intake track air speed is great anyway , I`ve had 3 diff, intakes on mine , cleaned up and matched victor beat all others I`ve had on it , a cleaned up and well massaged weiand is extremly close and no seat of the pants diff in feel .

I had a Performer RPM equipped 451 that would hit a wall power wise at 5800 rpm. I swapped the manifold to a Holley SD and picked up substantial rwhp and 3-400 rpm. Those results suprised me. My 511" responded in kind when we went to a M1 from the SD.

There are a million "rules of thumb" that can apply but you will never know for sure unless you test.

It's a 13 second car all day long and when it hits 88mph...look out!
I will also have a 13 second car, smaller engine than your 511 but maybe you wanna run next season somewhere since you're sorta close by

-
Back