Tried a quick search- no luck: Does weight of wheels really make much of a difference?

-
Not so sure about that! CLOSE, but it needs to be PERFECT!

COMMON REFERENCE MILLIMETERS CONVERTS TO INCHES
Five on One Hundred 5×100 CONVERTS TO 5×3.94
Specially since most wheels are lugcentric, and not hubcentric

Putting 5x100 wheels on 5x4 hubs is asking for trouble

Grab a set (if you can find them) of Ansen cast aluminum wheels, and you'll find they are quite a bit heavier than the factory steel rims. They just looked cooler. When it came down to Centerlines, Cragar Super Tricks and Weld wheels, you're talking about some serious weight reduction.

I like stock steelies w dog dish caps. I dont think the difference in weight between the aluminum rims and steelies really makes that much difference on a street car. Also street aluminum rims are made to DOT specs with a fairly beefy construction for the rigors of road use. Aluminum Cragar super tricks, and the Centerline drag rims are really designed for track use. Their light construction tends to allow them to get bent a lot easier on that unavoidable "oh **** i'm gonna hit it pot hole" moment. That is why cragar came out with street super tricks or SSTs with the steel outer and welded aluminum center with chrome steel facing bolted on. It looked like the all aluminum 2 piece riveted together super trick, but was meant for the street. If i was a betting man, i would bet a stock 15x7 mopar steelie would be lighter than the 15x7 SST.

My new wheels are DOT, they are thick aluminum, maybe an inch thick in the center? At 15x10 they are lighter than the 14x5 or what ever the factory steel wheel was.

JEGS 69134: SSR Mag Wheel 15 x 10" | JEGS

Jegs lists the shipping weight as 21 LBS I'd bet at least 3 or4 LBS of that is cardboard.

My new wheels are DOT, they are thick aluminum, maybe an inch thick in the center? At 15x10 they are lighter than the 14x5 or what ever the factory steel wheel was.

JEGS 69134: SSR Mag Wheel 15 x 10" | JEGS

Jegs lists the shipping weight as 21 LBS I'd bet at least 3 or4 LBS of that is cardboard.
Just for fun, I'd love to see the weight difference between those and what you are running now

-
Back