Tried and true big block radiator/electric fan setups!

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Looking at a new rad, and electric fan combo for my big block 71 Demon. Motor made 460hp, and plans are calling for more power so need a tried and true setup. I currently have a eBay special 3 row aluminum, with 2 eBay 10" fans directly mounted on the core.

Problem is currently a lack of room. there is 2.5" between the rad core and the snout of the water pump. the above mentioned setup is currently the only way it works. But it doesn't work unless the car is moving. Temp will rise fast, and if the car doesn't move it will shoot right up to 220*, and slowly cool down to 180* as soon as you get moving. I had to install an Autometer temp gauge as none of the factory gauges work really.. not sure why either but whatever..

The whole car is new front to back. Has a Stant 160* Tstat. This is the only thing keeping me from really driving the car..

demon%20137_zpsel3khdmp.jpg

demon%20135_zpshxgmkzxj.jpg

demon%20138_zps8h0qcw9z.jpg

Put a clutch fan on it and be done. In my opinion your not gaining much with those electric fans and they're a big liability.
Clutch fan is efficient and reliable.

Ford Contour fans does a great job. There is a thread explaining the whole setup

Clutch fan, shroud and 180 thermostat. That 160 is doing nothing for you.

You should also seal the gap between the radiator and core support. If you don't have a hood to core support seal, get one.

Last edited:
MP suggests 3/4" clearance from the radiator to the clutch. I've seen some posts where folks said they had 1/2" clearance and ate their 3rd core. Others have never had an issue.

Clutch fan, shroud and 180 thermostat
^^^ IMO, This if you have the space.

albeit I have this...........
Fans.jpg

Definitely a vicious fan package. I'm using a 2 core 26" inch radiator (small block) with a big *** clutch fan , full shroud , 180* thermostat in the 440 and I can sit in traffic all day in 98* degree weather and never get over 200

MP suggests 3/4" clearance from the radiator to the clutch. I've seen some posts where folks said they had 1/2" clearance and ate their 3rd core. Others have never had an issue.

^^^ IMO, This if you have the space.

albeit I have this...........
View attachment 1714994614

That's a much better electric fan setup. It has a nice shroud that covers the radiator. What is that off of?

Definitely a vicious fan package. I'm using a 2 core 26" inch radiator (small block) with a big *** clutch fan , full shroud , 180* thermostat in the 440 and I can sit in traffic all day in 98* degree weather and never get over 200

I'll second that. Clutch or viscous fan either works just as well. I used the Jaguar clutch and five blade fan. I think my car has 2.375" from WP flange to Rad core. 11:1 steel head engine in 100 degree weather and its rock solid. My only issue is keeping my fuel cool. Big electric pump with no return lines doesn't work well after a few hours in the heat of traffic.

That's a much better electric fan setup. It has a nice shroud that covers the radiator. What is that off of?
These were fans bought out of all places, Warshasky's in Chicago years ago off their Clearance Table. I took a chance with them. To my surprise they fit the 26" three core almost perfectly except for the small area at the top. Fans are Japanese with "Valley Industries" as the brand.

My solution to BB in an A body rad space and cooling but not everyone's cup of tea. 31X19 1 1/2" tube 2 row griffin mounted in front of the core support. 2000s CL500 Mercedes fan, has built in shroud that is perfect. The offset drive motor really gives you a ton of space. Photos not in order sorry.

20160420_165921.jpg

20160426_193613.jpg

20160428_160924.jpg

20160420_180831.jpg

20160826_103057.jpg

Part numbers, links.. I need a good rad, and fan setup I don't really care what it is.. stock looks is not a concern to me.. just don't know what works with out the above info.. I have no clue how to fit a 26" rad in my car.. I'm not willing to cut it up to fit one though if that's what it takes

Bentdart how much was that Merc fan? Part number?

Part numbers, links.. I need a good rad, and fan setup I don't really care what it is.. stock looks is not a concern to me.. just don't know what works with out the above info.. I have no clue how to fit a 26" rad in my car.. I'm not willing to cut it up to fit one though if that's what it takes

Bentdart how much was that Merc fan? Part number?

Your radiator is fine, as indicated by your ability to cool at speed. At speed, you done need fans because of the natural airflow.

You just need something that moves air at low vehicle speed and idle.

If you were to replace your cooling system with a completely stock big block cooling system you would probably be fine.

And again on that 160 stat thing. A thermostat only regulates minimum temperature so a 160 stat is doing nothing for you except reducing efficiency.

I need a different rad, I am not willing to cut the mounts to move the rad closer to the core support - the rad sits 1/2" or little more even off the core support - literally nothing except what I have fits no other fan setup will fit the current rad

I found some seemingly nice 3 row aluminum rads, so just need a fan setup.. mechanical or electric - would prefer electric. Tstat is fine I've run 160* stats before just fine..

Hayden #2947
Use 5 blade mopar fan.
Move radiator tight to core support, this may require modifying the mounting flange on that bootleg radiator (not trying to sound derogatory).

I need a different rad, I am not willing to cut the mounts to move the rad closer to the core support - the rad sits 1/2" or little more even off the core support - literally nothing except what I have fits no other fan setup will fit the current rad

I found some seemingly nice 3 row aluminum rads, so just need a fan setup.. mechanical or electric - would prefer electric. Tstat is fine I've run 160* stats before just fine..

Keep the radiator you have measure the core and see how wide it is. If it's close to 22" the single Taurus fan will fit fine. Those things move a ton of air. Just do a search.

I agree about the Mopar viscous fan, but that's not what the OP asked about so........

I NEVER like choosing a "package deal" on anything. There are always corners cut in the name of profit. So, what I recommend is, choose a GOOD radiator and a GOOD fan separately.

I have first hand experience with the Flex A Lite Black Magic series fans. They are badass. They are not cheap, but they flow MAGUNGO amounts of air. Get the one that's closest to 4000 CFM, if you just HAVE to have an electric fan.

Keep the radiator you have measure the core and see how wide it is. If it's close to 22" the single Taurus fan will fit fine. Those things move a ton of air. Just do a search.
I don't have room, look at the pics I posted.. even if the shroud was trimmed over 1" which it can't be cause I've had a Taurus fan on a different car.. it will not fit with the current rad in the car..

I agree about the Mopar viscous fan, but that's not what the OP asked about so........

I NEVER like choosing a "package deal" on anything. There are always corners cut in the name of profit. So, what I recommend is, choose a GOOD radiator and a GOOD fan separately.

I have first hand experience with the Flex A Lite Black Magic series fans. They are badass. They are not cheap, but they flow MAGUNGO amounts of air. Get the one that's closest to 4000 CFM, if you just HAVE to have an electric fan.
I'm seriously leaning towards the clutch fan as I found Van's Auto sells reproduction shrouds for cheap now..

You are correct - I am not looking to buy a rad/fan/controller combo - I am looking buy separate parts that work together. Funny story I bought way back when I was build the car - a Black magic fan kit for it for $380... it didn't fit with the current rad so I returned it to Summit - I couldn't bring myself to cut up a $300 electric fan to only have it not fit..

There is so little room that with that fan the electric motor of the fan would've been inside the water pump housing

You can tell that the ebay radiator isn't what you want.
That's a Ching Chang part that is prob marketed to fit a thousand different cars. They don't care if your fan doesn't fit they already made their money and will sell another to the next sucker. The mounting flange is flush with the face. Plan on cutting and welding the flange so the core sits forward more.
Find a stock period direct radiator for your car and look at the side profile. It will become clear what you need to do.

You can tell that the ebay radiator isn't what you want.
That's a Ching Chang part that is prob marketed to fit a thousand different cars. They don't care if your fan doesn't fit they already made their money and will sell another to the next sucker. The mounting flange is flush with the face. Plan on cutting and welding the flange so the core sits forward more.
Find a stock period direct radiator for your car and look at the side profile. It will become clear what you need to do.

my set up was a little trouble, but it works so far. 28x19 alum.griffin-crossflow-2 row-1 1/4" tubes. machined a fan spacer down to about .490, just because I had a thick one. ordered a summit alum. shroud for that size rad. had to cut mounts off rad., and have them heli-arced back on, flush w/ front of rad., cut the shroud in half crossways, and ( heli-arced ) flanges on it, much like an older chevy p/u set up. this way the shroud can be pulled by itself before pulling the rad., and the top left off while installing the fan. there is no room w/ this shroud for a regular oil filter, but a short mopar filter like the 4.7 dodge p/u came out w/ works fine. just change it a little more often for piece of mind. this spacer fit the 7 blade mech. fan about half way in to the shroud , w/ about a 1/4" clearance around it (maybe a hair more), around 1/2 to 5/8" clearance off the rad. the shroud is a full cover deal w/ the box actually setting off the rad. about 2 1/2" , and covering the whole rad. note, a 16" 3000cfm elec. fan wouldn`t cool the 505"/440. like I said , it was some trouble, but what isn`t w/ a r/b in a 68 barracuda w/ raised port heads, and 2" tti headers ? also have a 15" elec. fan mounted in front of the radiator setting it as far forward as I could, so as not to restrict normal air flow. the elec. fan kicks on at 190, and so far is doing the trick. running a motor plate , w/ a forward backward limiter from the block to the frame, and a 130 amp alternator mounted to-and under the motor plate, where the fuel pump would normally be. lots of ways to skin the cat !! the rotating assembly was race balanced by hughs engines, there is no noticeable vibration at all !---hope this will help some one. jfyi----bob

-
Back