Tried and true big block radiator/electric fan setups!

-
my set up was a little trouble, but it works so far. 28x19 alum.griffin-crossflow-2 row-1 1/4" tubes. machined a fan spacer down to about .490, just because I had a thick one. ordered a summit alum. shroud for that size rad. had to cut mounts off rad., and have them heli-arced back on, flush w/ front of rad., cut the shroud in half crossways, and ( heli-arced ) flanges on it, much like an older chevy p/u set up. this way the shroud can be pulled by itself before pulling the rad., and the top left off while installing the fan. there is no room w/ this shroud for a regular oil filter, but a short mopar filter like the 4.7 dodge p/u came out w/ works fine. just change it a little more often for piece of mind. this spacer fit the 7 blade mech. fan about half way in to the shroud , w/ about a 1/4" clearance around it (maybe a hair more), around 1/2 to 5/8" clearance off the rad. the shroud is a full cover deal w/ the box actually setting off the rad. about 2 1/2" , and covering the whole rad. note, a 16" 3000cfm elec. fan wouldn`t cool the 505"/440. like I said , it was some trouble, but what isn`t w/ a r/b in a 68 barracuda w/ raised port heads, and 2" tti headers ? also have a 15" elec. fan mounted in front of the radiator setting it as far forward as I could, so as not to restrict normal air flow. the elec. fan kicks on at 190, and so far is doing the trick. running a motor plate , w/ a forward backward limiter from the block to the frame, and a 130 amp alternator mounted to-and under the motor plate, where the fuel pump would normally be. lots of ways to skin the cat !! the rotating assembly was race balanced by hughs engines, there is no noticeable vibration at all !---hope this will help some one. jfyi----bob
Have any pictures of your motor plate setup w/ limiter? intriguing.

-
Back