Trim Parts Carpet Issue

-

jd340

Reaction score
My Dad and I recently installed new carpet in his 69 Dart. We went with TrimParts carpet, due to all the positive feedback I've read over the years. Here's my problem: the heel pad has very weak stitching to the carpet. As I knew Dad was very excited to get the fresh interior in the car, I didn't push the issue. What can I do to reattach the pad to the carpet? There's approximately a 3" area where the stitching has pulled away.(I didn't try to pull any further!) In car repair is desired; I don't want to wrestle that bench seat out again!!! I haven't got any decent pics of the problem area, but here are a couple just to show off! LOL! :)

IMG_0449 (Small).JPG

IMG_0450 (Small).JPG

IMG_0451 (Small).JPG

IMG_0453 (Small).JPG

You might be able to glue it down with 3-M Super spray adhesive. Mask everything off you don't want glue on, then spray a couple of coats on each surface, let it tack up, then stick it together. Might help to lay a heavy book or something on it for a few minutes until it dries.
Dallas

One of the last products that Billy Mays pitched at us was a fabric adhesive. Mighty Mend or sometthing like that . A super glue for cloth LOl
Worth a try ?

Did you notify TrimParts? If the carpet is fairly new, you would think they would want help you out. If all else fails, I guess that you could always throw a mat over it.

The carpet was purchased @ 1 year ago. It was still in the box up until a month ago. I'm not bashing trimparts in any way, and since we never inspected it when we got it, I don't expect them to do anything about it.

The trim adhesive was my first thought as well.

Mighty Mend, eh? Well if Billy Mays pitched it, it MUST work! LOL!

We will probably end up getting floor mats in the future, I just want to keep the heel pad from pulling away any further.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Dad went at it with the 3M adhesive this past weekend, put some weight on it for a couple hours, and it seems to be holding. Thanks again!

Yea, the only time anyone sees our heel pad is at shows. Otherwise a mat at all other times! One of the ones that will hold 1 litre of liquid! LOL!

I'm sure there'll be a pair of mats in the future. In the mean time, it's a wonder we're allowed in the car with our shoes on! LOL! Dad's quite proud of the way it turned out.

-
Back