Trip Odometer Reset Knob

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Should it just pull off? Seems like it's really stuck on and it twists freely in both directions. Can't seem to get it off without damaging something.

Anything?

On my Barracuda I just hold the stem with a pair of needle nose plyers and turn it counter clockwise. I'm not sure why it would twist freely

Remove the 2 phillips head screws that attach the instrument to the housing. Carefully separate housing from bezel along with this instrument. Then you can hold the stem from behind and screw the knob off without damaging the plastic bezel.

Remove the 2 phillips head screws that attach the instrument to the housing. Carefully separate housing from bezel along with this instrument. Then you can hold the stem from behind and screw the knob off without damaging the plastic bezel.

Thanks Redfish, that was the ticket.

Thanks Redfish, that was the ticket.
I don't know why some number these instruments were assembled in such a way that the stem doesn't free wheel counterclockwise and the others were assembled the other way. Were is this difference? Look at the planetary plates between the odometer digit wheels. When they are placed on the metal frame edge, like birds on a wire, they can't move. All those at odometer are perched/affixed this way. You'll find those plates between the trip clocks digit wheels were not affixed in your instrument. Yes you could change this if you wanted but... someone could steal yer little knob too.
I wonder if cars loosing this knob was a factor in the assembly change. Children screwed them off and swallowed them? Test drivers took them? We'll never know.

-
Back