Tripping Tachometer?

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I just install a new Auto Meter tach that I got from Summit for my car and I can't get it to work. The light comes on, the tach needle zeros out when I cut the switch on, but after I start the car the tach needle sits there. I've connected the signal wire to the negative side of the coil and to the Accel ignition box tach wire and neither one do I get a response. I've pulled out the ohm meter and checked everything.

Auto Meter tech, and Summit tech are closed on Saturdays and Sundays so what do you guys think it could be?

If the accel box you are using is a capacitive discharge ignition you may have fried the tach. The CD boxes put out 400+ volts onto the primary of the coil and you never hook the tach to the coil with one of these CD boxes.

If the accel box you are using is a capacitive discharge ignition you may have fried the tach. The CD boxes put out 400+ volts onto the primary of the coil and you never hook the tach to the coil with one of these CD boxes.

Well I hooked the tach to the green wire coming out of the Accel box which is the tach wire and it did not work. So what is the next alternative?.....hook it to the negative side of the coil. So yes I might have fried it but it didn't work anyways. ???

The tach could have been junk right out of the box. Got a Sun Super II that was bad. Just because it's new doesn't always mean it's good.

73 340 Dart Sport 012_640x480.jpg

Anyone notice the Avatar pictures on this thread? Four Sub-lime A-bodies and three of them are Barracuda's and two with have the the 69 side stripe! :)

I've been reading this thread, and I have to keep going back to see who's who. I apologize if this post is only open to Sublime avatars. lol

Grant

#-o

I got my tach working. It was all my fault the whole time. I'm embarrass to say this actually. I had two Accel ignition boxes for a 68 Charger I had about five years ago. One stayed with the car and the other I had pack ratted in my storage building. I bought the Barracuda last year and changed out the stock ignition to the Accel that I had pack ratted. Well I didn't have the male connectors (so I thought) so I just wired the box up cutting off the female connectors. But I found the male connectors and reinstalled the female connectors so I could disconnect the connectors in case I do some welding on the car. But here is where I dropped the ball. I didn't solder the green tach wire up before the female connector and just tape it up and put some loom around it. So actually when I hooked the tach up to it after the male connector IT WAS DEAD! I was sitting there looking and said "Wait a minute....I didn't check there!" I don't drink or drug so I don't have a excuse!:toothy10:

Thanks guys for you help!

Anyone notice the Avatar pictures on this thread? Four Sub-lime A-bodies and three of them are Barracuda's and two with have the the 69 side stripe! :)

Trip out!
I noticed this thread was a little green the other night. LOL

I got my stripes in the mail today but they are a little different. AAR Cuda stripes. It will be awhile before I will get it done. I've got some other stuff to do to the car before that.

-
Back