Trouble installing side trim/mouldings

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
OK I spent abit of time today trying to figure out these side moulding trim clip thingys.LOL.This is the side moulding trim on my 66 Dart.I have the little H trimclips with the little pin in the center.Adding them to the trim,they seem to stick out about 1/8th inch.Is this right?When removing,they seemed to not be 1/8 inch off the body.The H-clips are the same as removed,but new.How do you install these?Help will be appreaciated.Thanks

Could you post pics of the clips and maybe the back side of the trim? You said you bought new clips, do you still have your old ones? I'm not sure what your clips look like, in 1966 several cars used the same big clip for the trim, they had a seperate round peg that when you pop it in it holds the clip to the car, then the clip pops over the clip.

Could you post pics of the clips and maybe the back side of the trim? You said you bought new clips, do you still have your old ones? I'm not sure what your clips look like, in 1966 several cars used the same big clip for the trim, they had a seperate round peg that when you pop it in it holds the clip to the car, then the clip pops over the clip.

Yep those are the ones Keith.Do I put the h clips with pegs on the car then snap trim on?When I tried this last night,the trim seemed to sit to far away from the car(almost 1/8)Thanks for any help

I would think the clips go on first. Can you compare them with your original clips, are they the same? How wide is the trim, Can you post pics of the clips? I think I have a different clip in my mind, the one I picture is not an "h" style. Maybe your clip is too thick'and it can be ground down a little? Did the trim fit flush before?

I,m at work now,but will post pics of the clips when I get home. The clips are small with pegs, like a sideways H.The new ones are exactly the same as old ones.I bought them from RT Speacialties.The trim is about 3/4 inch wide with the bolt on clips at both ends of the trim.Hope this helps.... For now

Scott; They look like the same clips as on my 63.
Mine snapped into the trim really hard, I put a dab of grease on the top and
bottom to help slip in easier. You could only see the thin plastic taps that protects the
trim from contacting the paint when done.
It looks like to me you have to push it in further.

Kenny

Scott; They look like the same clips as on my 63.
Mine snapped into the trim really hard, I put a dab of grease on the top and
bottom to help slip in easier. You could only see the thin plastic taps that protects the
trim from contacting the paint when done.
It looks like to me you have to push it in further.

Kenny
I owe you a beer Kenny,your tip about the tabs protecting the paint was the ticket.I had them on *** backwards(duh).The trim is now back on the car.Thanks.Now hurry up and respond so you hit 1000 posts!! LOL

Your welcome Scott, glad I could help.

:sith: post's in the bank.

Kenny

-
Back