Trouble shooting fuel guage.

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
On my 74 Duster (318) the guage didn't work since I have owned the car.
I have recently replaced the sending unit in the tank and now it will give an incorrect reading then slowly drop back to empty. This just take a couple of minutes or so.

Anyone have any ideas?

Could be a faulty ground. If you disconnect the sender wire at the sender and ground it, the gauge should peg on full and stay there.

You can check a good portion of the circuit without pulling the dash cluster by removing the driver side kick panel. There, near your foot, you'll find a harness plug. Disconnect it and connect at ohm meter between the dark blue terminal for the wiring that goes to the rear of the car and a ground. You should have a steady reading somewhere between 9 and 73 ohms. The fuller the tank, the lower the number.

Thanks alot.

I will check it out this evening and let you know how it went.

On my 74 Duster (318) the guage didn't work since I have owned the car.
I have recently replaced the sending unit in the tank and now it will give an incorrect reading then slowly drop back to empty. This just take a couple of minutes or so.

Anyone have any ideas?

Rallye panel or standard ?
Any odd behavior in other gauges ?

After sitting for many years, the fuel gauge on my 69 dart worked erratically. A new sender didn't help. I removed the dash cluster and sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the gauge. That fixed the problem.

-
Back