Trouble sourcing oil leak

-

Den's Dart

Reaction score
Well I have a fairly major oil leak on my 340 s/b. I thought it was the rear main seal and was dreading it!! Well I had a bit of time tonight so I crawled under the car and had a closer look....the oil is coming from mucher high but pouring down the back and side of the block Oil filter side).

It seems to be coming from up top near where the distributor is loacated. It is below there but in that same area. Sort of where the intake meets the block. It is very hard to see but definitely coming from that general area.

Anyone have any thoughts? I know my description is vague and I wish I had pics but all I had was my cell and the pics aren't usable.

Is there something up in that area that makes sense as a spot to trouble shoot? I haven't pulled the distributor/cap out of the way yet. I am hoping that area is supposed to have a hose or plug that may be shot and not something more major!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and I will try to get a pic tomorrow but it is hard to see the area because of the heater hoses, distributor, electronic ignition etc that obscure the view.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Oil pressure sender.

Thoroughly clean the area with degreaser. Oil leaks travel and where you see it may not be where it came from.

the funny part is I can't see an oil line in this area.

Times like this I wish I had a repair cd!

Anybody have a pic or a scan?

I'm not sure where the sending unit is located....sorry to be such a pain but very new to this!

Actually I think I found some info online! Damn I wish I could get my hands on a real copy of "How to rebuild your small block Mopar"!!! I have used the handful of samples on line a few times now...

You probably have a oil sender with a wire attached at the top. This will be next to (but a bit behind) the distributor toward the passenger side.

Thanks!!! it's not exactly the one that I have been using on line but definitely worth a shot! The one I was trying to find I could only find used copies going for like 125$ and there is no way I will pay that for a book...

hmmmm.....well I got the distributor out of the way and had a look at where the leak is coming from and it definitely appears to be where the sending unit should be. I say should be because in the threaded hole there was a 2 piece thing but was not the sender. I'm not sure how to describe it but it was a piece of metal that was threaded on both sides. The one piece threaded into the hole and there was a passageway through it and then a cap of sorts that screwed on top. Once I had a look it was obvious that this was not really supposed to be there. The metal for the "cap" was different (chrome?) and the thread pattern was far finer then the piece it screwed on to. No wonder it leaks!!

I knew the oil light didn't work but I assumed it was just a cut wire as half of the wires don't go to where they are supposed to!!

I suppose I could just thread a bolt into the hole but I would rather ensure the light works on the off chance I have oil issues at some point. Anyone know the part number for the sending unit (idiot light style not rallye).

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

What you have there is the fitting for a line. At one time your car had mechanical oil pressure gauge. Oil should be pumping out of that thing.

You have options………..

Take it all out, go to the parts store and get a brass plug for the hole (least expensive).

Take it all out, go to the parts store and get sending unit for the hole. This will plug the hole and alloy you to get the light working when you find the wire (it should be around the same area).

Take it all out, go to the parts store and get a mechanical Oil pressure gauge and hook it up.

All of this is very easy.

That would make sense. I suspect that the car this motor was out of had the ralleye dash and since this car only has the idiot light he just capped it off (not very well!)

I will start searching Ebay I guess although it appears YearOne sells them for 10 bucks. Just not sure about fitment yet.

Dennis

P.S. thanks for the help guys!!

I believe its 1/4 inch npt. I would screw a close nipple and a tee in there and use one side of the tee for a mechanical gauge to show pressure in pounds and install a sender for the light in the other. The wire for that looks like a flat female butt connector on the end. If you cant find it post year of car and i can look up the color for you.and like others have said its a parts store item.

I checked 2 local parts stores and they don't carry the sender anymore. :(

S/B 340 which I believe is a 1970 but not sure since the engine is not original to the car.

Are there universal fit replacements that I could grab?

PartsSource searches by vehicle model to drill down to the part rather than the other way around. I know I can get one from YearOne but then I have to wait for it to ship etc.

Dennis

Tell them to look for an "Oil Pressure Light Switch" for your darts year. Tell them 318 or 340, shouldn't matter.

NAPA # ECH OP6282 or MPE OP6282SB

This is a standard replacement part. Your part guy is lazy.

I've have the same problem.... replaced the main seal (top and bottom pieces of the main seal) , oil pan gaskets and seals still leaks. It's not the distributor, oil pressure sending unit, or the rear of the intake.

I have read on here that there needs to be a very very small coat on the main caps before install or it will leak.... tried that and it still leaks. ????????????

Thanks for all the help guys! The guy at NAPA was able to find it and will have it for me by 3pm today!

Thanks for all the help guys! The guy at NAPA was able to find it and will have it for me by 3pm today!

Be sure to get back with us and tell us what it was. My leak that I have will not leak when the car is running.... only after it has shut off.

Mine was definitely leaking from that area and only when running. There may be other leaks as well but the worst of it was from there. The leak was VERY obvious once i traced it up to that are beside the Distributor.

I am hoping to grab it and install it tomorrow night if all goes well. I will report back though.

Dennis

Installed the sending unit tonight and fired it up....looks yo have fixed it! I only had time to run it for a minute and didnt even have time to get the rpm's up but definitely better than it was!!

-
Back