Trouble Starting after sitting

-

MoparDart68

Reaction score
I've been having a reoccurring issue since May with my car refusing to start after sitting more than 5 days. I used to be able to let this car sit for months at a time and start it up with only one pump of the gas pedal. Now, I can't let the car sit more than 3-4 days, or it won't start without pouring gas into the carburetor.

The fuel pump was replaced in May, but the starting problem was happening before that. I replaced the pump and filter shortly after the problem started thinking this was the cause, which it may not have been. I'm thinking about purchasing a rebuild kit for the carb, but I'm not sure if this will fix the problem or not. I think it's an issue with fuel not getting to the accelerator pump, or not enough is in there to begin with. Once the car is started, after pouring gas in the barrels, car runs fine and will start with no issues for the next 3-4 days. No issues with the carb while driving the car, no stalls, hesitation, etc. I've checked and adjusted the float level, but this hasn't made a difference. Could a bad accelerator pump cause excessive fuel evaporation? Thanks

1968 Dodge Dart 270
273, 2 bbl Carter (stock carb)

OK, after a week of waiting, I finally pooped the top of the carb off to see how much fuel was in the bowls. Well, it was practically empty. So, somehow I'm losing fuel as the car sits. Yes, evaporation is a possibility, so I tested this theory. What I found was something else.

Last night, after examining the carb with a shop light, I noticed it was wet along the outside of the bowls--it's fuel. The fuel level in the bowls had dropped dramatically in only 3 hours. I cleaned the gas residue off the carb and refilled the bowls with fuel to make sure this wasn't over-spill or gas leaking from the top gasket. Sure enough, a few hours later, the floats bottomed out and I could see fuel on the outside of the carb again. I guess I'm leaking fuel somehow, right through the pot metal. How is this possible? It's almost as if the carb is sweating gas through the bowl walls, or just leaking through the seam. Just for kicks, I tested this again today with the same results.

The fuel is not leaking from the top or the front of the carb--where the fuel line connects. I'm kind of at a loss, has anyone had this problem before, or is this normal? Thanks

Not sure of how you are losing gas in the carb, but i also have to pump the gas pedal to start my car after it sits a few days.

This happened to me on my Impala (i know,not a Mopar) but the carb was leaking fuel and I couldnt find out where exactly.I even put a new gasket kit on it,and same thing.Then I noticed gas was leaking from the seam under the float bowl.I say clean the hell out of the outside of the carb and look everywhere for small cracks.I barely barely saw the crack on my Impalas Rochester.

Thanks. I just tested an old 2 bbl carter from my old Duster. It's leaking as well, but more from the top (not the sides).

If I find a crack, is there any way of fixing it? My guess would be no. If even did have a crack, why would it be leaking on all sides?

It almost seems like the walls of the carb are acting like sponges i.e. soaking up the fuel and perspiring it on the outside of the carb.

If you are planning to sit your car for months or weeks, you should at least have someone do start the engine once in a while so you will not experience such situation, pouring some gas on the carburator will somehow help it to work.

If you look closely you'll see spots where the factory had to drill through the bowl in order to drill other passages. The they went back and pulled those access holes. Should be 2 of these just below where the fuel line connects. The plugs will leak. You can try some epoxy on the inside behind the plugs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice.

I decided to rebuild the carburetor a few weeks ago, and my starting problem seems to be solved. I let the car sit for a week after the rebuild, and then tried starting it. The car fired up after only 3 seconds with 2 pumps. I'll keep testing it, but being able to start the car without having to pour fuel into the bowls, is definitely a step in the right direction.

-
Back