Trouble starting in park.

-

matthew robertson

Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve ironed out all the issues in my 74 dart except for one that I have yet to put my finger on. Sometimes when I attempt to start the car nothing happens, if I put it in neutral that will fix my issue and the car will start but sometimes I have to put the car in reverse, hold the key in the start position and slam the colum into park to get it to crank. I’m assuming it’s some sort of park safety switch or something like that. Anyone had this issue? Thoughts, tips?

Just take it to your mechanic...

Love it!
:rofl:
Not too many mechanics in the world left who can even comprehend left hand lug nuts. How are they going to understand how to adjust mechanical linkages, only thing that see now is electronic.

Somewhere in the linkage system, I believe you will find a round bar with a flat side that runs through a sort of clamp that has a bolt that holds the flat side of the rod in place. Loosen the bolt so the rod can slide in the clamp. Put the gearshift in park. Actuate the shift lever on the trans so that it is solidly in the park position (you can feel it) and then tighten the bolt in the clamp to hold the rod in that position. Test the results.

I bought it at my young age for the soul purpose to be able to work on it and not have to worry about technology getting in my way lol
Then follow the great advice in post #6. Read it. Follow the instructions. If something hangs you up, we'll be here to help. You will learn more this way, rather than someone just telling you how it's done.

-
Back