troulbe setting timing-HELP!

-

joesnow

Reaction score
I'm just plain confused now. 318 I installed new cam,chain. Checked the balancer that I wanted to use with the engine at TDC. Timing mark lined up with the indicator OK. It is an on and off prodject when time permits. Installed dist, I beleive correctly. Mallory 6AL box. Car starts right up and sounds good. I hang the timing light on it and it reads goofy. It should be right around TDC. I don't see the stripe. I turn the advance dial and it's like it is 180' out. No spitting runs fine. I have a simialer problem with my out 340.
What am I doing wrong????????
Thanks.

I'm betting you have the distributor 180 degrees out. The car will still run, but the true test is how long it takes to fire up. If it has to crank more than a few seconds, swap the distributor and try it again. It should be an instant fire up if the timing is right.

Good luck!

Don't worry about the spelling around here. We try to listen to what you mean, not what ya type. ;-)

I'm betting you have the distributor 180 degrees out. The car will still run, but the true test is how long it takes to fire up. If it has to crank more than a few seconds, swap the distributor and try it again. It should be an instant fire up if the timing is right.

Good luck!

Don't worry about the spelling around here. We try to listen to what you mean, not what ya type. ;-)

I have dun it 20 times I bet :happy10: Leanna at the rescue 8)
I hope it fired up and he comes back and said that was to easy :-D

Could be quite a few things. Let's start at the beginning. Did you degree the cam shaft when you installed it? If so did you go by the specs on the cam card? So your damper does not have a timing mark on it? You could still find TDC with the heads installed if you use a piston stop. At least you could scribe a mark on there and have some kind of reference so you can properly time the engine.

I'm just plain confused now. 318 I installed new cam,chain. Checked the balancer that I wanted to use with the engine at TDC. Timing mark lined up with the indicator OK. It is an on and off prodject when time permits. Installed dist, I beleive correctly. Mallory 6AL box. Car starts right up and sounds good. I hang the timing light on it and it reads goofy. It should be right around TDC. I don't see the stripe. I turn the advance dial and it's like it is 180' out. No spitting runs fine. I have a simialer problem with my out 340.
What am I doing wrong????????
Thanks.

i had a little problem with my 318 getting it set up things just wouldn't do what they should myself and fstfish tried everything onlt to find out the timming gear set double roller the cam gear had an extra set of marks on it after about an hr of screwing around we found that and well when we set it to the right marks all went well

Bring #1 piston up on the compression stroke and top in out :thumbrig:
Look and see where your rotor is pointing in your dist 8)
Put #1 spark plug wire there, If the gear is in the wrong hole it will get you close 8):-k:-k

Yes the cam gear and crank needs to be correct, They put two locations for different applications.
I hope he is driving it around the block already :happy10:

Car starts right up? Sounds like you are close. Try removing the vacuum line from the distributor?

It wouldnt run if you were 180 out.

OK I think the Man up stairs is messing with me. I went back outside and set the crank to TDC.Pulled the cap, pointed at #1 Tried the light one more time and now it is right there now.?? How many degrees of advance would be good? I set it at 12'
Thanks.

that would depend on cam and compression. It wont run 180 out as it would be firing on the exhaust stroke. it would pop thru the carb now and then like it was trying to start.

Are you sure your timing light is compatible with the MSD box? Some timing lights get confused by a certain type of plug wire and quite a few lights don't work with the multiple spark discharge it confuses them and the light may flash at the wrong time and the balancer has passed the mark making it look like your timings off. Just a lil problem I've had in the past lol

-
Back